Skip to main content
MSPH in Human Nutrition – Dietitian

MSPH in IH (Human Nutrition – Dietitian) Program FAQ

What is the deadline to apply?
December 1

Is it possible to get credit for prerequisite courses through an online college course or do they have to be completed at a community college, local college, etc.?
Prerequisite courses may be taken at the undergraduate or graduate level at an accredited institution of your choice, whether it's on-line or in-person.  For Anatomy & Physiology, they are usually offered as separate courses (an Anatomy course and a Physiology course) or as A&P I and II. Either arrangement is fine; however, a one-semester combined A&P course is too condensed to cover both topics in one semester, and it is information used on a daily basis during the practicum. If you are not sure a course fulfills the prerequisite requirements, please contact Marcy Kane ( or Cristina Salazar (

What is the admissions process to the MSPH in Human Nutrition – Dietitian program?
Students need to apply to the MSPH program in the Department of International Health. In the application, students need to choose "International Health" as the Department, then "Human Nutrition" as the program area. Next, select the “MSPH in Human Nutrition – Dietitian” box. Applicants should also mention the MSPH in IH (Human Nutrition – Dietitian)program in their personal statements. The primary acceptance into the MSPH program is determined by the International Health admissions committee. A candidate gets a preliminary review by the Department's MSPH program. Strong applications get passed on to the MSPH in IH (Human Nutrition – Dietitian) program admissions committee for admission into the MSPH in IH (Human Nutrition – Dietitian) track. This committee will look at the prerequisite courses and will conduct interviews in person or by video conference. If the candidate does not get admitted by the MSPH in IH (Human Nutrition – Dietitian) program, the MSPH admissions committee reviews the applicant again and decides whether to admit the candidate into the MSPH program. The Department of International Health will contact the student with the admission decision.

Does this master's enable me to sit for the Commission on Dietetics Registration (CDR) Exam for Dietitians? 
Following conferral of the MSPH in IH (Human Nutrition – Dietitian) degree from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in May, graduates are qualified to sit for the CDR Registration Examination for Dietitians.

Can I apply to the MSPH in Human Nutrition – Dietitian program after I start classes as an MSPH student at JHSPH?
No, unfortunately the only time you can apply to the MSPH in IH (Human Nutrition – Dietitian) is at the same time as you are applying to the MSPH degree in International Health.

Is there anything else I need to know about the MSPH in Human Nutrition – Dietitian program?
Students admitted to the MSPH in IH (Human Nutrition – Dietitian) must take the course Introduction to Biomedical Sciences, which is an intensive 2-week course offered in August prior to Orientation. For more information please contact Cristina Salazar at 410-955-3734.

Do I need a car for the practicum?
While most of the rotations are at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, you will need a car or access to transportation for a few rotations in the Baltimore region.

Where do I park?
Students are responsible for parking. On-site parking at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center is available at a discounted rate for trainees ($49 for a book of 14 daily parking coupons).  Students may sign up for parking during Orientation. Please request program verification documentation from the director in order to purchase the parking coupons. There is a shuttle between the John Hopkins Hospital and Bayview campuses that is free for all employees and trainees.

Are meals provided?
Meals are not provided; however, there are food and beverage options on both campuses. In addition, refrigerators, microwaves and hot and cold water dispensers are available for your use.