About the Bioethics Certificate Program
The rigorous pursuit of human wellbeing through health care and research has resulted in tremendous gains, locally and globally, for individuals and populations. From the first ventilator to the first vaccine, such scientific and technological discoveries have sought to prolong life and alleviate human suffering while advancing health-related knowledge. These advancements and their varied potential applications, however, often present challenging ethical questions — for individuals and society — about appropriate use, access, safety, and rights and obligations, among others.
The certificate program will prepare current and future health practitioners, researchers, policymakers, and scholars to take on bioethical issues within highly complex public health, science, and health care challenges that emerge daily.
- Describe the essential theories and methods that underpin the ethics of public health, clinical care, science and research;
- Recognize ethical issues and questions that arise in public health, clinical care, science and research;
- Articulate and critique policy and scholarly arguments to engage with long-standing and emerging debates in bioethics;
- Distinguish various ethics advisory functions in practice settings; and
- Apply ethical theories and methods to real-world ethical dilemmas.
Applying to the certificate program as a JHU graduate student:
Students already enrolled in a graduate program at JHU are not required to submit the School's electronic admissions application, but must submit the Bioethics Declaration of Intent form.
If you are not currently enrolled in a graduate program at Hopkins, these admissions requirements apply for this certificate program:
General Certificate Admissions Requirements
Please see our General Certificate Admission Requirements page for information about specific application components and instructions on how to apply to a certificate program through SOPHAS Express.
English Language Proficiency Test Results
Results are not required.
Prerequisites or special requirements
Information regarding the cost of tuition and fees can be found on the Bloomberg School's Certificate Programs Tuition page.