What is the difference between academic credit and non-credit/professional development?
Academic credit registration:
- Receive an official transcript from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Required to fulfill course requirements and methods of evaluation.
- Can choose either a letter grade or Pass/Fail grade option.
- Tuition rate is $1,233* per credit
Non-credit/professional development registration:
- No official JHSPH transcript of courses
- Not required to participate in exams or other course requirements
- Students who complete required coursework can request a formal statement of performance
- Tuition rate is $617* per credit for most courses
Academic credit for a course is granted only if the following conditions have been met:
- The student has been admitted to the School, either as a special student regular or a degree candidate or has registered as a special student limited. Students registered as special students limited may accumulate a maximum of 16 credits total. After 16 credits have been earned, application to and acceptance in special student regular or degree status is required.
- The student has completed all course requirements including examinations.
Students who register for academic credit can request a transcript of their Summer Institute grades. To have transcripts forwarded to another institution, a written request must be submitted to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Registrar's Office at least 10 working days before the transcript is needed. Students who want Summer Institute courses applied to degree programs at other institutions should consult with their home institution regarding transfer of credits and credit conversion.
All Summer Institute students will receive a certificate of participation on the completion of their courses.
*Subject to slight change