Skip to main content
Combined / Dual Degree

Bachelor of Science in Engineering/Master of Science in Engineering (BS/MSE) Five-Year Program

Offered By: Department of Environmental Health and Engineering (Whiting school of engineering)

About This Program

The Department of Environmental Health and Engineering offers a five-year Bachelor of Science in Engineering/Master of Science in Engineering (BS/MSE) program. 

To learn more, please review the specific program details for the Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) in Geography and Environmental Engineering program offered by the Department of Environmental Health and Engineering. 

Admissions Requirements

Applicants must be Johns Hopkins University undergraduate students. Undergraduate students should formally apply to the BS/MSE program during their 7th semester and no later than December 1. Admitted students must complete their bachelor's degree before being enrolled in the graduate program.

For general admissions requirements, please visit the Graduate Admissions page. 

Please note: If you are currently a Hopkins student applying for the BS/MSE program, EHE will pay for your application fee. You should apply using the standard application. Select the Combined BS/MSE or the Combined option within the application in order to waive the following:

  • the $75.00 fee
  • GRE score requirement
  • TOEFL score requirement (if you are a non-US citizen)

Tuition and Funding

​​​​​​Dean’s Master’s Fellowships

Students who have graduated with a Johns Hopkins University undergraduate degree will automatically earn a Dean’s Master’s Fellowship, covering half of the tuition for every semester of full-time, residential enrollment (fall and spring semesters only; summers and intersessions are not included; EP courses are not included) in a WSE master’s degree program, provided they have either: (a) completed eight full-time * semesters of study at Johns Hopkins, or (b) have not been enrolled at Johns Hopkins for at least one year. Students who are pursuing JHU combined bachelor’s/master’s degrees who have not yet completed eight full-time semesters at JHU, and have retained undergraduate status, are eligible to continue to apply for undergraduate financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Services. There is typically a 4 semester-limit on the Dean’s Master’s Fellowship funding. Extensions may be requested (but are not guaranteed) through the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Academic Affairs (please email


The Jensen Fellowship

The fellowship provides a full ride for engineers and scientists seeking to attain a Master's degree in Environmental Engineering from EHE. This fellowship is open to professionally-oriented master's students. Learn more about The Jensen Fellowship.

Contact Us

Questions about the program? We're happy to help.