One Health Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University
News and Publications
- Davis MF, McCormack MC, Matsui EC. Growing Concerns with Staphylococcus aureus and Asthma: New Territory for an Old Foe?. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2019 Feb;7(2):616-617. doi: 10.1016/j.jaip.2018.10.003.
- Tsou PY, McCormack MC, Matsui EC, Peng RD, Diette GB, Hansel NN, Davis MF. The effect of dog allergen exposure on asthma morbidity among inner-city children with asthma. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2020 Feb;31(2):210-213. doi: 10.1111/pai.13144. Epub 2019 Nov 26.
- Davis MF, Ludwig S†, Brigham EP, McCormack MC, and Matsui EC. Effect of home exposure to Staphylococcus aureus on asthma in adolescents. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 2018 Jan;141(1):402-405.e10
- Ludwig S†, Jimenez-Bush I*, Brigham E, Bose S, Diette G, McCormack MC, Matsui EC, and Davis MF. Analysis of home dust for Staphylococcus aureus and staphylococcal enterotoxin genes using quantitative PCR. Science of the Total Environment 2017, 581-582:750-755
- Newton AN*, Davis MF, Koehler K, Shreffler W, Ahluwalia S, Metwali N, Thorne PS, Paigen BJ, and Matsui EM. Atopy as a modifier of the relationships between endotoxin exposure and symptoms among laboratory animal workers. Annals of Work Exposures and Health 2017, ahead-of-print.
- Davis MF, Peng RD, McCormack MC* and Matsui EM*. Staphylococcus aureus colonization is associated with wheeze and asthma among U.S. children and young adults. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2015, 135(3): 811-813
- Brigham EP, Kolahdooz F, Hansel N, Breysse P, Davis MF, Sharma S, Matsui EC, Diette GB, and McCormack M. Association Between Western Diet Pattern and Adult Asthma: A Focused Review. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology 2014, ahead-of-print.
- Shahbazian JH, Hahn PD, Ludwig S, Ferguson J, Baron P, Christ A, Spicer K, Tolomeo P, Torrie AM, Bilker WB, Cluzet VC, Hu B, Julian K, Nachamkin I, Rankin SC, Morris DO, Lautenbach E, and Davis MF. Multidrug and mupirocin resistance in environmental methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) collected from the homes of people diagnosed with a community-onset (CO-) MRSA infection. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2017, 83(22):e01369-17
- Exum NG, Kosek MN, Davis MF, and Schwab KJ. Surface sampling collection and culture methods for Escherichia coli in household environments with high fecal contamination. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2017. 14(8):E947
- Cluzet VC, Gerber JS, Metlay JP, Nachamkin I, Zaoutis TE, Davis MF, Julian KG, Linkin DR, Coffin SE, Margolis DJ, Hollander JE, Bilker WB, Han X, Mistry RD, Gavin LJ, Tolomeo P, Wise JA, Hu B, Fishman NO, Royer D, and Lautenbach E, for the CDC Prevention Epicenter Program. The effect of total household decolonization on clearance of colonization with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2016, 37(10):1226-33. PMID 27465112.
- Davis MF; Hu B; Carroll K; Bilker WB; Tolomeo P; Cluzet VC; Baron P; Ferguson JM; Morris DO; Rankin SC; Lautenbach E; and Nachamkin I. Comparison of culture-based methods to identify colonization with methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus in the context of co-colonization. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2016, 54:1907-1911. PMID: 27122377.
- Exum NG; Olortegui MP; Yori PP; Davis MF; Heaney CD; Kosek M; and Schwab KJ. Floors and toilets: Association of floors and sanitation practices with fecal contamination in Peruvian Amazon peri-urban households. Environmental Science & Technology 2016, ahead-of-print. PMID: 27338564.
- Cluzet VC; Gerber JS; Nachamkin I; Metlay JP; Zaoutis TE; Davis MF; Julian KG; Royer D; Linkin DR; Coffin SE; Margolis DJ; Hollander JE; Mistry RD; Gavin LJ; Tolomeo P; Wise JA; Wheeler MK; Bilker WB; Han X; Hu B; Fishman NO; and Lautenbach E. Duration of colonization and determinants of earlier clearance of colonization with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2015, 60(10):1489-96. PMID: 25648237.
- Cluzet VC; Gerber JS; Nachamkin I; Metlay JP; Zaoutis TE; Davis MF; Julian KG; Linkin DR; Coffin SE; Margolis DJ; Hollander JE; Bilker WB; Han X; Mistry RD; Gavin LJ; Tolomeo P; Wise JA; Wheeler MK; Hu B; Fishman NO; Royer D; and Lautenbach E. Risk factors for recurrent colonization with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology 2015, 36(7):786-93. PMID 25869756.
- Davis MF, Iverson SA, Baron P, Vasse A, Silbergeld EK, and Lautenbach EB*, Morris DO*. The role of the household in transmission of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and other staphylococci. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2012, 12(9):703-716. (featured on cover)
- Davis MF, Peterson AE, Julian KG, Greene WH, Price LB, Nelson K, Whitener CJ, and Silbergeld EK. Household risk factors for colonization with multidrug-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates. PLoS ONE 2013, 8(1): e54733.
- Davis MF, Baron P, Price LB, Williams DL, Jeyaseelan S, Hambleton, I, Diette GB, Breysse PN and McCormack MC. Dry collection and culture methods for recovery of methicillin-susceptible and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from indoor home environments. Applied & Environmental Microbiology 2012, 78(7):2474-6.
- *Feingold B, Vegosen L, Davis MF, Leibler JH, Peterson AE, and Silbergeld EK. A niche for infectious disease in environmental health: rethinking the toxicological paradigm. Environmental Health Perspectives 2010; 118(8):1165-72.
Antimicrobial Resistance and Bacterial Genetics
- Innes GK, Randad PR, Korinek A, Davis MF, Price LB, So AD, Heaney CD. External Societal Costs of Antimicrobial Resistance in Humans Attributable to Antimicrobial Use in Livestock. Annu Rev Public Health. 2020 Apr 2;41:141-157. doi: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-040218-043954. Epub 2020 Jan 7.
- Davis MF; Misic AM; Morris DO; Moss JT; Tolomeo P; Beiting D; Nachamkin I; and Lautenbach E*; Rankin SC*. Genome sequencing reveals strain dynamics of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the same household in the context of clinical disease in a person and a dog. Veterinary Microbiology 2015
- Misic A; Davis M; Tyldsley A; Hodkinson B; Bugayev J; Nachamkin I; Lautenbach E; Morris D; and Grice E. The shared microbiota of humans and companion animals as evaluated from Staphylococcus carriage sites. Microbiome 2015, 3:2, e-pub.
- Sorensen AC, Lawrence RS, and Davis MF. Interplay between policy and science regarding low-dose antimicrobial use in livestock. Frontiers in Microbiology 2014, 5:86, e-pub (doi 10.3389/fmicb.2014.00086).
- Davis MF, Price L, Liu C, and Silbergeld EK. An ecological perspective on U.S. industrial poultry production: the role of artificial ecosystems on the emergence of drug-resistant bacteria from agricultural environments. Invited review for Current Opinion in Microbiology 2011, 14(3):244-250.
- Davis MF*, Peterson AE*, Julian KG, Awantang G, Green WH, Price LB, Waters A, Doppalapudi A, Krain LJ, Nelson K, Silbergeld EK, and Whitener CJ. Molecular and phenotypic characteristics of healthcare- and community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) at a rural hospital. PLoS One 2012, 7(6):e38354.
- Silbergeld E, Davis MF, Leibler JH, and Peterson AE. One Reservoir: Redefining the Community Origins of Antimicrobial Resistant Infections. In Medical Clinics of North America. 2008 Nov;92(6):1391-407.
- Davis MF, Rankin SC, Schurer JM, Cole S, Conti L, and Rabinowitz P for the COHERE Expert Review Group (Gregory Gray, Laura Kahn, Catharine Machalaba, Jonna Mazet, Marguerite Pappaioanou, Jan Sargeant, Andrew Thompson, Scott Weese, Jakob Zinnstag). Checklist for One Health Epidemiological Reporting of Evidence (COHERE). One Health 2017, 4:14-21.
- Morris DO, Loeffler, A, Davis MF, Guardabassi L and Weese JS. Recommendations for approaches to methicillin-resistant staphylococcal infections of small animals: Diagnosis, therapeutic considerations, and preventative measures. Clinical Consensus Guidelines of the World Association for Veterinary Dermatology. Veterinary Dermatology 2017, 28(3):304-e69
- Clancy MM; Davis MF; Newton A; Valitutto MT; Nelson K; and Sykes JM. Evaluation of Salmonella in reptiles at the Wildlife conservation society’s Bronx Zoo: 2000-2012. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 2016, 248(9):1050-1059. PMID: 27074614.
- Morris DO; Davis MF; Palmeiro BS; O’Shea K; and Rankin, SC. Molecular and epidemiological characterization of canine Pseudomonas otitis using a prospective case-control study design. Veterinary Dermatology 2016, 28(1):118-e25. PMID 27426073.
- Barin JG, Talor MV, Schaub JA, Diny NL, Hou X, Hoyer M, Archer NK, Gebremariam, ES, Davis MF, Miller LS, Rose NR, and Čiháková D. Collaborative IFNγ and IL17 signaling protects the oral mucosa from Staphylococcus aureus. American Journal of Pathology 2016, 189(9):2337-52. PMID 27470712.
- Larsen J, Imanishi M, Hinjoy S, Tharavichitkul P, Duangsong K, Davis MF, Nelson KE, Laresen AR, and Skov RL. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST9 in pigs in Thailand. PLoS One 2012, 7(2):e31245.
- Davis MF*, Peterson AE*, Awantang G, Limbago B, Fosheim GE, and Silbergeld EK. Correlation between nasal carriage and environmental methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates at U.S. horse and cattle farms. Veterinary Microbiology 2012, 160:539-543.
- Davis MF, Brazil AM, Cain CL, and Rankin SC. Two coagulase-negative staphylococci emerging as potential zoonotic pathogens: wolves in sheep’s clothing? Frontiers in Microbiology 2013, 4:123.
- Iverson SA*; Brazil AM*; Nelson K; Lautenbach E; Rankin SC; Morris DO; and Davis MF. Anatomical patterns of colonization of pets with staphylococcal species in homes of people with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) skin or soft tissue infection (SSTI). Veterinary Microbiology 2015
- Dalton KR, Waite KB, Ruble K, Carroll KC, DeLone A, Frankenfield P, Serpell JA, Thorpe RJ Jr, Morris DO, Agnew J, Rubenstein RC, Davis MF. Risks associated with animal-assisted intervention programs: A literature review. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2020 May;39:101145. doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2020.101145. Epub 2020 Mar 18.
- Dalton KR, Rock C, Carroll KC, Davis MF. One Health in hospitals: how understanding the dynamics of people, animals, and the hospital built-environment can be used to better inform interventions for antimicrobial-resistant gram-positive infections. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2020 Jun 1;9(1):78. doi: 10.1186/s13756-020-00737-2. Review. PubMed PMID: 32487220
Food Animal Workers and Rural Communities
- Smith TC, Davis MF, Heaney CD. Pig Movement and Antimicrobial Use Drive Transmission of Livestock-Associated Staphylococcus aureus CC398. mBio. 2018 Dec 11;9(6). doi: 10.1128/mBio.02459-18.
- Davis MF, Pisanic N, Rhodes SM, Brown A, Keller H, Nadimpalli M, Christ A, Ludwig S, Ordak C, Spicer K, Love DC, Larsen J, Wright A, Blacklin S, Flowers B, Stewart J, Sexton KG, Rule AM, and Heaney CD. Occurrence of Staphylococcus aureus in swine and swine workplace environments on industrial and antibiotic-free hog operations in North Carolina, USA: A One Health pilot study. Environmental Research 2018, 163:88-96.
- Silbergeld E, Davis M, Feingold B, Goldberg A, Graham J, Leibler J, Peterson AE, and Price LB. New infectious diseases and industrial food animal production [peer-reviewed correspondence]. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2010 Sept;16(9):1503.
- Davis MF, Kamel F, Hoppin JA, Alavanja MC, Beane Freeman L, Gray GC, Nelson K, and Silbergeld EK. Neurologic symptoms associated with raising poultry and swine among participants in the Agricultural Health Study. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2011; 53(2):190-195.
- Love DC, Halden RU, Davis MF, and Nachman KE. Feather meal: a previously unrecognized route for reentry into the food supply of multiple pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs). Environmental Science & Technology 2012, 46(7):3795-802. Erratum, 46(10):5631; Response to Comment, 46:13026-13027; Second Response to Comment 46:13557-13558.
- Castillo R, Vegosen L, Davis MF, Price L, and Silbergeld EK. Antimicrobial-resistant bacteria: an unrecognized work-related risk in food animal production. Safety & Health at Work 2012, 3(2):85-91.
- Vegosen L, Davis MF, Silbergeld E, Breysse PN, Agnew J, Gray G, Beane Freeman L, and Kamel F. Neurologic symptoms associated with cattle farming in the Agricultural Health Study. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2012, 54(10):1253-1258.
- Love DC, Davis MF, Bassett A, Gunthe A, and Nachman K. Dose imprecision and resistance: free-choice medicated feeds in industrial food animal production in the United States. Environmental Health Perspectives 2011; 119(3), 279-83.
- *Davis MF and Rutkow H. Regulatory strategies to combat antimicrobial resistance of animal origin: recommendations for a science-based U.S. approach. Lead article in Tulane Environmental Law Review 2011-12: 25.
- Olsen SJ, Ying M, Davis MF, Deasy M, Holland B, Iampietro L, Baysinger CM, Sassano F, Polk LD, Gormley B, Hung MJ, Pilot K, Orsini M, van Duyne S, Rankin SC, Genese C, Bresnitz EA, Smucker J, Moll M, and Sobel J. Multidrug-resistant Salmonella typhimurium infection from milk contaminated after pasteurization. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2004 May;10(5):932-5.
- Majd E, McCormack M, Davis M, Curriero F, Berman J, Connolly F, Leaf P, Rule A, Green T, Clemons-Erby D, Gummerson C, Koehler K. Indoor air quality in inner-city schools and its associations with building characteristics and environmental factors. Environ Res. 2019 Mar;170:83-91. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2018.12.012. Epub 2018 Dec 7.
- Berman JD, McCormack MC, Koehler KA, Connolly F, Clemons-Erby D, Davis MF, Gummerson C, Leaf PJ, Jones TD, and Curriero FC. School environment conditions and links to academic performance and absenteeism in urban, mid-Atlantic public schools. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 2018, ahead-of-print.
- Davis BJK, Jacobs JM, Davis MF, Schwab KJ, DePaola A, and Curriero F. Environmental determinants of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in the Chesapeake Bay. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2017, ahead-of-print.
- DiPietro JA, Davis MF, Costigan KA, and Barr DB. Associations between fetal heart rate and motor activity and maternal organochlorine levels: Results of an exploratory study. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology 2014 Sep;24(5):474-81.
In The News
- Nov. 2020 - Denmark’s Mink Situation and an Update on Pets and COVID-19. Public Health on Call
- Sept. 2020 - Lessons Learned from the Pets who were Diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2. American Animal Hospital Association NEWStat
- Sept. 2020 - Science-based Guidance for Reopening your Hospital. American Animal Hospital Association NEWStat
- Breathing It In: Can a Change of Address Improve Asthma Outcomes? Hopkins Bloomberg Public Health Magazine
- Linking Pollution and Infectious Disease Chemical & Engineering News
- One Health for All Hopkins Bloomberg Public Health Magazine
- ACVP 2018: Raising Awareness of Emerging Superbugs American Veterinarian
- What is Antibiotic Resistance? Mental Floss
- Pet Protection Hopkins Bloomberg Public Health Magazine
- PhD Student Kathryn Dalton Among Promising Researchers Named for 2018 AKC Canine Health Foundation Clinician-Scientist Fellows
- MRSA Recolonization Linked to Home Contamination
- JHSPH Signs Partnership with Ross University
- Dr. Meghan Davis Receives Canine Health Foundation Grant to Study the Health of Dogs