Joining Epi IDEAS
The Workgroup members have mindfully chosen a flat structure that equitably values the voices and ideas of students, postdoctoral fellows, staff, and faculty; there are no “leaders” of the group. Since the creation of the Department’s Vice Chair for Inclusion Diversity, Anti-Racism, and Equity position in 2021, the group advises and provides technical assistance to the Department’s Vice Chair for Inclusion, Diversity, Anti-Racism, and Equity (IDARE) (Dr. Otis Brawley).
Every fall, the group seeks new volunteer members and asks for a brief personal statement articulating why they wish to join the group. Members include masters and trainees, the Epidemiology Student Organization leaders, postdoctoral fellows, staff, and faculty. There are also three designated faculty members that provide the organization knowledge needed for the group to progress towards their goals: Ms. Laura Camarata, Dr. Lorraine Dean, and Dr. Keri Althoff. All members are asked to join at least one sub-committee.
Frequency of Meetings
The Epi IDEAS Workgroup meets four times a year; sub-committees meet more frequently (as needed) outside of the quarterly Epi IDEAS meetings.
Members volunteer their time to complete tasks in subcommittees. Subcommittees include:
- Website: Develops content and updates for the upcoming Epi IDEAS website
- Science Communication: Organizes science communications seminar series, seeks publication opportunities
- Survey: Conducts, analyzes, and reports on annual student and staff climate survey
- Training: Secures and assesses trainings in the inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism realm
- Strategic Plan: Liaises with IDARE on the school-wide strategic plan
- Operations & Budget: Manages budget and keeps track of Epi IDEAS accomplishments
- Membership, Outreach, and Recruitment: Recruits and orients new members, encourages sustained engagement among continuing members, and engages the department in annual outreach events
- Education & Curriculum Evaluation: Evaluates and updates curriculum for inclusion and diversity principles
If you would like to get involved in Epi IDEAS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.