Inclusion, Diversity, Anti-Racism, and Equity (IDARE)
We support efforts to dismantle structural oppression and racist policies and practices within the Bloomberg School, our community, and public health.
The Office of Inclusion, Diversity, Anti-Racism, and Equity (IDARE) supports efforts to dismantle structural oppression and racist policies and practices within the Bloomberg School, our community, and public health.
IDARE was created to support and serve as a resource to students, faculty, staff, and administration at the School in their collective efforts to advance inclusion, diversity, anti-racism, and equity in everything we do. The Office is charged with improving the School's capacity to recruit, retain, and advocate for underrepresented students and faculty and working alongside the Committee for Diversity, Equity, and Civility to cultivate a diverse and inclusive environment on campus and in our community.
We humbly acknowledge that Johns Hopkins University is located on the traditional and contemporary homelands of Indigenous people. Our campus resides on unceded lands of the Piscataway and Susquehannock peoples.
Land acknowledgement helps us recall the sacrifices that Indigenous peoples have made and their continued significance as part of our community. Recognition of the land is just one way in which we can honor the contributions and counter the erasure of Indigenous peoples in our society. We encourage each person and organization to be in solidarity with and acknowledge the homelands of Indigenous people wherever you study, work, visit, or live. Thank you to the students, faculty, and staff from the Center for American Indian Health for leading the creation of the land acknowledgement for the Bloomberg School and for their continued work with Indigenous communities.
Recent IDARE Messages
- Reflecting Together on the Tragedy of George Floyd's Death and on the Promise of a Different Future
- Supporting Change to Help End Gun Violence
- In Solidarity with Our Asian, Asian American, Pacific Islander Communities
- Reaffirming our Commitments to Inclusion, Diversity, Anti-Racism, and Equity Following a Difficult Revelation
- Committing to Inclusion, Diversity, Anti-Racism, and Equity (IDARE) Efforts at Our School
- We Strongly Oppose the ICE Decision Regarding Students With F-1 Visas
- Racism: A Public Health Crisis
Resources for IDARE
The Bloomberg School provides helpful diversity-related resources for its students, faculty, and staff through many groups and services.
- Student Disability Services
- Committee on Equity, Diversity and Civility
- Diversity Summer Internship Program for Undergraduates
- Leadership and Education in Academic Research and Networking for Enhancing Diversity
- Minority Student Groups
- Office of Student Life
- Vivien Thomas Scholars Initiative
- Johns Hopkins University Office of Institutional Equity
- Diversity at JHU
- LGBTQ Life at JHU
- Diversity Resources at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Diversity Leadership Council
Support diversity at the Bloomberg School
There are many ways donors can earmark gifts to the School for research or scholarships that directly benefit people and communities who have been historically marginalized, disenfranchised, or excluded. Reach out to the Office of Development for details.
The Faculty Diversity Initiative
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion demands that we attract exceptionally talented faculty from a breadth of backgrounds and experiences and sustain a campus culture where all faculty can be successful. The Faculty Diversity Initiative and the School's Diversity Advocate Network are spearheading that effort.
Departmental and Affiliated Institutes IDARE Initiatives
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - Diversity Activities
- Department of Biostatistics - Social Justice Initiatives
- Department of Environmental Health and Engineering - Diversity and Equity Initiatives
- Department of Epidemiology - Epi Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Science (IDEAS)*
- Department of Health, Behavior and Society*
- Department of Health Policy and Management*
- Department of International Health - Diversity and Inclusion
- Department of Mental Health - Mental Health Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- W. Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology - IDARE in MMI
- Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health*
*Departmental inclusion, diversity, anti-racism, and equity (IDARE) page is currently being updated. Please contact the department directly to find out more about the departmental IDARE initiatives.
615 N. Wolfe Street, W1600
Baltimore, MD 21205
Phone: (410) 955-3034
Fax: (410) 502-9809
Joel I. Bolling, MA
Assistant Dean for IDARE
Mahnoor K. Ahmed, MS
IDARE Director for Student Recruitment and Engagement
Audrey Ndaba, MS
Student Disability Services Coordinator