School of Medicine
Krieger School of Arts and Sciences
health economics, population economics; family economics;marriage, gender, paternity; infidelity, divorce, polygyny; orphans; adolescent health, vaccines;HIV; AIDS vaccine; tuberculosis; meningococcal disease; human papilloma virus;HPV, cervical cancer; health equity;disparities; Nepal; Uganda; injuries, road traffic accidents;
Experiences & Accomplishments
University of California San Diego Medical School
Wharton Business School
University of California, Los Angeles
Dr. Bishai's major research interest is the economics of public health practice. His current projects focus on the connection between the operations at national, state and local health departments and improved population health. He teaches Introduction to Health Economics, Poverty Economic Development and Health, Systems Thinking in Public Health.
Honors & Awards
President, International Health Economics Association 2018-2019 Board Certification and Recertification: American Board of Pediatrics and American Board of Internal Medicine, 1991 to present Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Award (AMTRA), 2006. Golden Apple Award for Teaching, 2015. President Faculty Senate 2016.
Selected publications back to 2013.
- Leider, J. P., Alfonso, N., Resnick, B., Brady, E., McCullough, J. M., & Bishai, D. (2018). Assessing The Value Of 40 Years Of Local Public Expenditures On Health. Health Affairs, 37(4), 560-69.
- Cardona, C*, and Bishai, D. "The slowing pace of life expectancy gains since 1950." BMC Public Health 18.1 (2018): 151.
- Verma*, R., Clark, S., Leider, J., & Bishai, D. (2017). Impact of State Public Health Spending on Disease Incidence in the United States from 1980 to 2009. Health Serv Res, 52(1), 176-190. doi:10.1111/1475-6773.12480
- Diamond-Smith, N*. Bishai, D. (2014) Evidence of Self-Correction of Child Sex Ratios in India: A District Level Analysis from 1981-2011 Demography 2014:1-26..
- Bishai, D., M. K. Sherry*, C. Pereira, S. Chicumbe, F. Mbofana, A. Boore, M. Smith, L. Nhambi and N. Borse (2016). "Development and Usefulness of a District Health Systems Tool for Performance Improvement in Essential Public Health Functions in Botswana and Mozambique." Journal of Public Health Management and Practice 22 (6) 586-596.
The Costs of Scaling Up Traffic Enforcement in Kampala
Schools, Parents and Outcomes in Adolescence and Adulthood
Heterogeneity in SES Gradients in Health in Afghanistan, Uganda, and India
Consolidation of Point Estimates for Infant and Under-Five Mortality
Cost-Effectiveness of Antiretroviral Therapy Adherence Interventions
The Costs of Scaling Up Traffic Enforcement in Kampala: A Pilot Study
Innovations in measuring injury and disability in low income countries: Use of a demographic surveillance system in Uganda
Three City Study
Measuring Women's Time Use in Egypt
Labor Supply, Childbearing, and Women’s Welfare in Old Age
Community Partnerships for Child Safety
Developing a New Meningitis Vaccine for Africa
Road Safety in 10 Countries
Saving of Lives from Drowning in Bangladesh
Future Health Systems: Health Services for the Future
The Safety of Vials vs. Pre-Filled Syringes for Influenza Vaccination
Improving Public Health Practice in Angola
Chronic Injuries in Uganda
Costs of Obstetrical Consequences of Female Genital Mutilation
Family Health and Wealth Study
Using Driving Simulators to Improve Teen Drivers' Hazard Recognition and Response
Impact of TB Preventive Therapy for HIV/TB Co-infected Patients with Access to Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: A Phased Implementation Trial. A project of Consortium to Respond Effectively to the AIDS-TB Epidemic (CREATE)
Achieving Health for All: Primary Health Care in Action
Three-City Asian Study of Adolescents and Youth: Hanoi, Shanghai, and Taipei
Primary Health Care Assessment
Teaching Vaccine Economics Everywhere