maternal health; perinatal health; maternal mortality and severe morbidity measurement; vital statistics; quality improvement; patient safety; program evaluation
Experiences & Accomplishments
Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
My research and practice work is focused on implementing and evaluating perinatal quality and safety interventions both domestically and internationally. Of key interest are measurement innovations using electronic health records and linked data sources.
Honors & Awards
CDC Honor Award for Excellence in Emergency Response as part of the 2015 Ebola Maternal Health Team (2015) Delta Omega Honor Society (2015) Scholarship & Science Award awarded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health (2014) Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers awarded by the United States Government, Executive Office of the President (2013) Award for Effective Public Health Practice as part of the 2009 H1N1 Maternal Health Team awarded by the Coalition for Excellence in Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology (2010) CDC Honor Award for Excellence in Emergency Response as part of the 2009 H1N1 Maternal Health Team (2010) Paul A. and Esther C. Harper Award in Population and Family Health Sciences (2009) Endowed Scholarship in the Health of Mothers and Children (2008) The Carl Swan Shultz Endowment Fund Award (2008) The Edward J. Dehne Award in Population Dynamics (2007) The Josephine Kohn and Family Fund Award (2006) Fellowship for Doctoral Studies awarded by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2005-2009) University Fellowship for High Grade Point Average awarded by the Romanian Government (1996-2002)
- Creanga AA, Thoma M, MacDorman M. Value and disvalue of the pregnancy checkbox on death certificates in the United States -- Impact on newly released 2018 maternal mortality data. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2020; 223(3):393.e1-393.e4.
- Creanga AA et al. Implementation of a quality improvement initiative for reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health and nutrition in Bihar, India. Journal of Global Health. 2020; 10(2):021008
- Creanga AA et al. Using a mobile nurse mentoring and training program to address a health workforce capacity crisis in Bihar, India: Impact on essential intrapartum and newborn care practices, 2014-2017. Journal of Global Health. 2020; 10(2):021009.
- Callaghan-Koru J, Creanga AA et al. Implementation of the safe reduction in primary cesarean births safety bundle during the first year of a statewide collaborative in Maryland. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2019;134(1):109-119.
- Sheffel A, Karp C, Creanga AA. Utility of Survey Provision Assessments and Service Availability and Readiness Assessment in assessing quality of maternal and newborn care at the national and subnational levels. BMJ Global Health. 2018; 3(6):E001011.
Maryland Maternal Health Innovation Program -- MDMOM
Safety Program in Perinatal Care II Demonstration Project