Debra Roter, DrPH '77, MPH '75, is an expert on patient-provider communication and author of the widely used Roter Interaction Analysis System (RIAS).
Experiences & Accomplishments
Honors & Awards
- Roter, DL, Stewart, M, Putnam, S, Lipkin, M, Stiles W, and Inui, T. (1997). Communication patterns of primary care physicians. JAMA, 270,350-355.
- Levinson, W., Roter, DL, Mullooly, J., Dull, V, and Frankel, R. (1997). Doctor-patient communication: A critical link to malpractice in surgeons and primary care physicians. JAMA, 277, 553-559.
- Cooper LA, Roter DL, Carson KA, Beach MC, Sabin JA, Greenwald AG, Inui TS. Clinicians' Implicit Attitudes about Race Influence Medical Visit Communication and Patient Ratings of Interpersonal Care. (2012). American Journal of Public Health, 102(5):979-987
- Roter DL, Hall JA, Aoki Y Physician gender effects in medical communication: a meta-analytic review. JAMA 2002; 288: 756-764
- Patient and family empowerment as agents of ambulatory care safety and quality. Roter DL, Wolff J, Wu A, Hannawa AF. BMJ quality & safety. 2017; 26(6):508-512