Population and Family Health Sciences, Couples and reproductive health; reproductive health; data collection; developing countries; demographic methods
Experiences & Accomplishments
Johns Hopkins University
Interested in reproductive health interventions that involve couples, esp via experimental designs. This includes involving men (partners) in post-abortion contraceptive counseling, in STD and HIV counseling and testing, in antenatal care education, and in counseling about contraceptive sterilization. Also interested in estimation of fertility and mortality in developing countries and in formal demography. I give lectures on population in general and the problem of rapid population growth with an historical and ecological perspective.
Honors & Awards
Page boy, Michigan House of Representatives, Lansing, Michigan, 1967. Page boy, United States House of Representatives, Washington, D.C., 1968. Grass Roots Talent Search Scholarship, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1968, 1969. David Blair, McLaughlin Writing Competition Second Prize: "Police Disarmament: a Possibility", 1971. Ford Foundation Training Fellowship in Demography, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1973-74. National Institute of Child Health and Development, Traineeship, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, 1974-76.
Here are recent publications.
- Pearson, E. and Becker, S. 2014. Couples' unmet need for family planning in three West African countries. Studies in Family Planning. 45(3):339 - 359
- Becker, S. Frank O Taulo, Michelle J Hindin, Effie K Chipeta, Dana Loll, Amy Tsui. Pilot study of home-based delivery of HIV testing and counseling and contraceptive services to couples in Malawi. BMC Public Health2014, 14:1309 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-14-1309.
- Espeut, D., Becker, S. 2015. The validity of birth and pregnancy histories in rural Bangladesh 2015 Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition 33(17): 1-11.
- Gasca, N. and Becker, S. 2017. Using couples’ discordant reports to estimate female covert use of modern contraception in sub-Saharan Africa. J. Bios Sci.
- Short-Fabic, M. and Becker, S. 2017. Measuring Contraceptive Prevalence among Women Who Are at Risk of Pregnancy. Contraception.
Microcredit and Health Services Experiment in Bangladesh
Funding Small-Scale Research Projects in Reproductive Health in Pakistan
Family Health and Wealth Study
Performance Monitoring for Action (PMA)