implementation science; mental health; indigenous health; HIV; nutrition; health systems strengthening; economic evaluation; mixed methods
Experiences & Accomplishments
University of Washington
University of Washington
I am an implementation scientist with expertise in mixed methods and qualitative research, program evaluation, economic evaluation, epidemiology, and biostatistics. Much of my work has focused on implementing and evaluating evidence-based services for mental health, nutrition, and HIV in high-need, under-resourced settings. I have a particular interest in building capacity and tailoring implementation strategies for the integration of these services into primary care, and I am building a research agenda at the intersection of mental health, indigenous health, and implementation science. I am Ngai Tahu Maori of Aotearoa (New Zealand). I have been involved in a range of programmatic work and research with the World Health Organization, UNICEF, NIH Fogarty Center, Wellcome Trust, I-TECH, and PATH. Most recently, I was the methodological lead for the World Health Organization Special Initiative for Mental Health baseline situational assessment in Bangladesh, Jordan, Nepal, Paraguay, the Philippines, Ukraine, and Zimbabwe. I am also a collaborator with the NIMH-funded Southern African Research Consortium for Mental Health Integration, based at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
Honors & Awards
Gilbert S. Omenn Award for Academic Excellence. School of Public Health, University of Washington. 2019. Remak Scholarship. School of Public Health, University of Washington. 2018.
- Kemp, C. G., Jarrett, B. A., Kwon, C. S., Song, L., Jetté, N., Sapag, J. C., ... & Baral, S. (2019). Implementation science and stigma reduction interventions in low-and middle-income countries: a systematic review. BMC Medicine, 17(1), 1-18.
- Means, A. R., Kemp, C. G., Gwayi-Chore, M. C., Gimbel, S., Soi, C., Sherr, K., ... & Weiner, B. J. (2020). Evaluating and optimizing the consolidated framework for implementation research (CFIR) for use in low-and middle-income countries: a systematic review. Implementation Science, 15(1), 1-19.
- Kemp, C. G., Mntambo, N., Bachmann, M., Bhana, A., Rao, D., Grant, M., ... & Petersen, I. (2020). Patient-level predictors of detection of depressive symptoms, referral, and uptake of depression counseling among chronic care patients in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Global Mental Health, 7.
- Kemp, C. G., Lipira, L. L., Huh, D., Nevin, P. E., Turan, J., Simoni, J. M., ... & Rao, D. (2019). HIV stigma and viral load among African-American women receiving treatment for HIV: A longitudinal analysis. AIDS, 33(9), 1511.
- Kemp, C. G., Wagenaar, B. H., & Haroz, E. E. (2019). Expanding hybrid studies for implementation research: intervention, implementation strategy, and context. Frontiers in Public Health, 7, 325.