Javier Cepeda, PhD, MPH, conducts research on the intersecting epidemics of substance use, HIV, and Hepatitis C virus, and justice involvement.
Experiences & Accomplishments
- Cepeda JA. Bórquez A, Magana C, Vo A, Rafful C, Rangel G, Medina-Mora E, Strathdee SA, Martin NK. Modeling integrated antiretroviral treatment and harm reduction services on HIV and overdose among people who inject drugs in Tijuana, Mexico. Journal of International AIDS Society. In press.
- Cepeda JA, Eritsyan K, Vickerman P, Lyubimova A, Shegay M, Odinokova V, Beletsky L, Borquez A, Hickman M, Beyrer C, Martin NK. Potential impact of implementing and scaling up harm reduction and antiretroviral therapy on HIV prevalence and mortality and overdose deaths among people who inject drugs in two Russian cities: a modelling study. The Lancet HIV. 2018; 5(10):e578-e587.
- Cepeda JA, Thomas DL, Astemborski J, Sulkowski MS, Kirk GD, Mehta SH. Increased mortality among persons with chronic hepatitis C with moderate or severe liver disease: a cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Jul 15;65(2):235-243.
- Olgin, G.K., Bórquez, A., Baker, P., Clairgue, E., Morales, M., Bañuelos, A., Arredondo, J., Harvey-Vera, A., Strathdee, S., Beletsky, L. and Cepeda, J.A., 2020. Preferences and acceptability of law enforcement initiated referrals for people who inject drugs: a mixed methods analysis. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy, 15(1), pp.1-9.
- Cepeda JA, Strathdee SA, Arredondo J, Mittal ML, Rocha T, Morales M, Clairgue E, Bustamante E, Abramovitz D, Artamonova I, Bañuelos A, Kerr T, Magis-Rodriguez CL, Beletsky L. Assessing police officers' attitudes and legal knowledge on behaviors that impact HIV transmission among people who inject drugs. Int J Drug Policy. 2017 Oct 10;50:56-63. doi: 10.1016/j.drugpo.2017.09.009.