Sara Whaley, MPH '20, MSW, MA, translates opioid research into effective policy, and advocates for equitable access to care and treatment for individuals who use drugs.
Experiences & Accomplishments
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
University of Maryland-Baltimore
University of North Carolina
Appalachian State University
I have been part of several projects, on a varied of topics related to the overdose crisis. Most recent publications include:
- Whaley S, Bandara S,Taylor K, & Krawczyk N. Expanding buprenorphine in U.S. jails: One county's response to addressing the fears of diversion, Journal of Substance Use and Addiction Treatment, 2023, 208944. ISSN 2949-8759. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.josat.2022.208944.
- Krawczyk N, Bandara S, Merritt S, Shah H, Duncan A, McEntee B, Schiff M, Ahmad NJ, Whaley S, Latimore A, Saloner B. Jail-based treatment for opioid use disorder in the era of bail reform: a qualitative study of barriers and facilitators to implementation of a state-wide medication treatment initiative. Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2022 Jun 2;17(1):30. doi: 10.1186/s13722-022-00313-6. PMID: 35655293; PMCID: PMC9161649.
- Rouhani S, Schneider KE, Weicker N, Whaley S, Morris M, Sherman SG. NIMBYism and Harm Reduction Programs: Results from Baltimore City. J Urban Health. 2022 Aug;99(4):717-722. doi: 10.1007/s11524-022-00641-7. Epub 2022 May 31. PMID: 35641715; PMCID: PMC9154206.
- Weicker NP, Whaley S, Urquhart G, Park JN, Sherman SG, Owczarzak J. "I Know It Is Going to Ruin Their Life:" Fortune-Telling, Agency, and Harm Reduction in Narratives Concerning Injection Initiation Assistance. Subst Use Misuse. 2021;56(12):1860-1868. doi: 10.1080/10826084.2021.1958854. Epub 2021 Aug 4. PMID: 34348070.
- Rouhani S, Allen ST, Whaley S, White RH, O'Rourke A, Schneider KE, Kilkenny ME, Weir BW, Sherman SG. Food access among people who inject drugs in West Virginia. Harm Reduct J. 2021 Aug 21;18(1):90. doi: 10.1186/s12954-021-00536-x. PMID: 34419045; PMCID: PMC8379557.