Kate Rucinski, PhD, MPH, is an epidemiologist with a focus on sexual and reproductive health research that promotes the health and wellbeing of marginalized populations in resource-limited settings.
key populations; sexual and reproductive health; adolescent girls and young women; HIV prevention and treatment; pregnancy; contraception; implementation research; program data
Experiences & Accomplishments
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
New York University
New York University
Kate Rucinski is an epidemiologist with a focus on women’s sexual and reproductive health, key populations, and HIV prevention and treatment. Specifically, her research aims to inform more holistic sexual and reproductive health programs for marginalized populations including women living with HIV, sex workers, and adolescent girls and young women in resource-limited settings. She is particularly interested in the use of routinely collected observational data to define opportunities for improved service delivery in Southern and Eastern Africa.
Representative publications from the last two years.
- Rucinski KB, Schwartz SR, Mishra S, et al. High HIV prevalence and low HIV-service engagement among young women who sell sex: A pooled analysis across nine sub-Saharan African countries [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jul 3]. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2020;10.1097/QAI.0000000000002432. doi:10.1097/QAI.0000000000002432
- Rucinski KB, Schwartz SR, Powers KA, et al. Fertility Intentions and Clinical Care Attendance Among Women Living with HIV in South Africa. AIDS Behav. 2020;24(6):1585-1591. doi:10.1007/s10461-019-02564-y
- Rucinski KB, Powers KA, Schwartz SR, et al. Longitudinal patterns of unmet need for contraception among women living with HIV on antiretroviral therapy in South Africa. PLoS One. 2018;13(12):e0209114. Published 2018 Dec 20. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0209114
- Rucinski KB, Eaton LA, Learner ER, Watson RJ, Maksut JL, Earnshaw VA. Transactional Sex and Incident Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Among Black Men Who Have Sex With Men in Atlanta, Georgia. Sex Transm Dis. 2020;47(6):355-360. doi:10.1097/OLQ.0000000000001168
- Stoner MCD, Rucinski KB, Lyons C, Napierala S. Differentiating the incidence and burden of HIV by age among women who sell sex: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Int AIDS Soc. 2022 Oct;25(10):e26028. doi: 10.1002/jia2.26028. PMID: 36302078; PMCID: PMC9612831.