Radamés J.B. Cordero, PhD, MS, studies how melanin protects against hazardous radiation and thermal stress.
fungal melanin; polysaccharide capsule; microbial pathogenesis; Cryptococcus; radioprotection; energy budgets; thermal biology; infrared imaging; color-mediated thermoregulation; thermography; infrared camera; energy transduction; heat; temperature; solar; radiation shielding; energy storage; photovoltaics; scholarly communication practices
Experiences & Accomplishments
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Albert Einstein School of Medicine
University of Puerto Rico - Arecibo
Honors & Awards
2021 Phase II Small Business Technology Transfer Award, DoD-Army, USA 2021 JHU COVID-19 Bridge Grant, Vice Provost for Research, JHU 2021 Delta Omega Honor Society-Alpha Chapter, JHBSPH 2020 NASA Center Innovation Fund, OH, USA 2020 Institutional Program for Internationalization Award, CAPES, Brazil 2019 Small Business Technology Transfer, Department of Defense 2018 Seed Grant Technology Accelerator, JHU Bloomberg, Baltimore, MD 2017 Center for AIDS Research Award for Faculty Development, JHU, Baltimore, MD 2016 Biomedical Scholar Association Milestone for Academic Excellence, JHU 2012-14 Young Talent Attraction Award, Science without Borders, CnPq/CAPES, Brasil 2008 Honors in Master of Science Degree (Class 2012), Einstein, USA 2005 UPR President Award for Highest GPA in Microbiology, UPRA Graduation, PR
Most recent publications about melanin:
- Impact of Yeast Pigmentation on Heat Capture and Latitudinal Distribution. Cordero RJB, Robert V, Cardinali G, Arinze ES, Thon SM, Casadevall A. Curr Biol. 2018 Aug 20;28(16):2657-2664.
- Cell-wall dyes interfere with Cryptococcus neoformans melanin deposition Perez-Dulzaides R, Camacho E, Cordero RJB, Casadevall A. Microbiology. 2018 Aug;164(8):1012-1022.
- Melanin for space travel radioprotection. Cordero RJB. Environ Microbiol. 2017 Jul;19(7):2529-2532.
- Melanin, Radiation, and Energy Transduction in Fungi Casadevall A, Cordero RJB, Bryan R, Nosanchuk J, Dadachova E. Microbiol Spectr. 2017 Mar;5(2).
- Functions of fungal melanin beyond virulence Cordero RJB and Casadevall A. Fungal Biology Reviews. Volume 31, Issue 2, March 2017, Pages 99-112.
Thermal biology of fungi
Structure and Functions of Fungal Melanins
Structure and Function of the Cryptococcal Capsule
The hydrodynamic properties of convalescent plasma