air pollution; arsenic; cancer; cardiovascular disease; environmental health disparities; epidemiology; health disparities; secondhand smoke; tobacco
Experiences & Accomplishments
Dr. Jones is an epidemiologist whose research focuses on environmental and social determinants of chronic diseases. She is specifically interested in the health impacts of environmental exposures, including tobacco, secondhand smoke, air pollution and arsenic, and the role of these exposures to racial/ethnic disparities in cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Jones MR, Tellez-Plaza M, Vaidya D, Grau M, Francesconi K, Goessler W, Guallar E, Post WS, Kaufman JD, Navas-Acien A. Development of a biomarker to estimate inorganic arsenic exposure in populations with frequent seafood intake: Evidence from MESA and NHANES. American Journal of Epidemiology 2016; 184(8):590-602. PMID: 27702745
- Jones MR, Joshu CE, Kanarek N, Navas-Acien A, Richardson KA, Platz EA. Cigarette smoking and prostate cancer mortality in four US states, 1999-2010. Preventing Chronic Disease 2016; 13:E51. PMID: 27079649
- Jones MR, Diez-Roux AV, O’Neill MS, Guallar E, Sharrett AR, Post W, Kaufman JD, Navas-Acien A. Ambient air pollution and racial/ethnic differences in carotid intima media thickness in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2015; 69(12):1191-1198. PMID: 26142402
- Jones MR, Diez-Roux AV, Hajat A, Kershaw KN, O’Neill MS, Guallar E, Post W, Kaufman JD, Navas-Acien A. Race/ethnicity, residential segregation and exposure to ambient air pollution: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). American Journal of Public Health 2014; 104(11):2130-2137. PMID: 25211756
- Jones MR, Apelberg BJ, Tellez-Plaza M, Samet JM, Navas-Acien A. Menthol cigarettes, race/ethnicity and biomarkers of tobacco use in US adults: The 1999-2010 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention 2013; 22(2):224-32. PMID: 23250935