Tuberculosis; Mathematical Modeling;
Experiences & Accomplishments
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
I am interested in developing mathematical and computational models of epidemiology of infectious diseases, and to ultimately use them to design and inform effective public health interventions. Although I maintain interest in the epidemiology of pneumococcus and dengue virus, tuberculosis (TB) is the primary focus of his current research. Some of my recent and ongoing work includes (i) understanding the heterogeneity of TB in the context of targeted interventions; (ii) modeling dynamics and control of domestic TB in the US (in collaboration with the CDC); and (iii) developing models to inform active case finding efforts in Bangladesh (in collaboration with IRD), and in Nepal (in collaboration with IMPACT TB team).
Some of my key recent publications:
- Shrestha S, Cherng S, Hill AN, Reynolds S, Flood J, Barry PM, Readhead A, Oxtoby M, Lauzardo M, Privett T, Marks SM. Impact and effectiveness of state-level tuberculosis interventions in California, Florida, New York, and Texas: a model-based analysis. American journal of epidemiology. 2019;188(9):1733-41.
- Shrestha S, Chihota V, White RG, Grant AD, Churchyard GJ, Dowdy DW. Impact of Targeted Tuberculosis Vaccination Among a Mining Population in South Africa: A Model-Based Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2017 Dec 15;186(12):1362-1369.
- Shrestha S, Foxman B, Berus J, van Panhuis WG, Steiner C, Viboud C, Rohani P. The role of influenza in the epidemiology of pneumonia. Sci Rep. 2015 Oct 21;5:15314. doi: 10.1038/srep15314. PubMed PMID: 26486591; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4614252.
- Shrestha S, Reja M, Gomes I, Baik Y, Pennington J, Islam S, Faisel AJ, Cordon O, Roy T, Suarez PG, Hussain H. Quantifying geographic heterogeneity in TB incidence and the potential impact of geographically targeted interventions in South and North City Corporations of Dhaka, Bangladesh: a model-based study. Epidemiology & Infection. 2021;149.
- Kendall EA, Shrestha S, Dowdy DW. The epidemiological importance of subclinical tuberculosis. A critical reappraisal. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine. 2021;203(2):168-74.