Margaret Taub, PhD, works collaboratively with clinicians and epidemiologists to use genetic and genomic data to understand the causes of complex diseases.
statistical genetics; high-throughput genomics; methylation array data; RNA-seq
Experiences & Accomplishments
University of California, Berkeley
My area of expertise is in genomics and statistical genetics and I have developed analysis methods and software for gene expression data, genotyping data and DNA methylation data. I have extensive knowledge of a variety of high-throughput technologies, including traditional genotyping arrays, as well as more novel methylation arrays, and high-throughput sequencing data. In statistical genetics, I have focused on methods for detecting association and linkage in related individuals and on biases in high-throughput sequencing technologies and their effects on downstream analyses. I have a track record of successful collaborative projects examining genetic and genomic signatures of complex diseases, including cardiovascular disease, oral cleft disorders and schizophrenia.
Selected recent publications (as of Aug 2018)
- Shringarpure SS, Mathias RA, Hernandez RD, O'Connor TD, Szpiech ZA, Torres R, De La Vega FM, Bustamante CD, Barnes KC, Taub MA; CAAPA consortium. Using genotype array data to compare multi- and single-sample variant calls and improve variant call sets from deep coverage whole-genome sequencing data. Bioinformatics. 2016 Dec 29
- Mathias RA, Taub MA, Gignoux CR, Fu W, Musharoff S, O'Connor TD, Vergara C, Torgerson DG, Pino-Yanes M, Shringarpure SS, Huang L, Rafaels N, Boorgula MP, Johnston HR, Ortega VE, Levin AM, Song W, Torres R, Padhukasahasram B, Eng C, Mejia-Mejia DA, Ferguson T, Qin ZS, Scott AF, Yazdanbakhsh M, Wilson JG, Marrugo J, Lange LA, Kumar R, Avila PC, Williams LK, Watson H, Ware LB, Olopade C, Olopade O, Oliveira R, Ober C, Nicolae DL, Meyers D, Mayorga A, Knight-Madden J, Hartert T, Hansel NN, Foreman MG, Ford JG, Faruque MU, Dunston GM, Caraballo L, Burchard EG, Bleecker E, Araujo MI, Herrera-Paz EF, Gietzen K, Grus WE, Bamshad M, Bustamante CD, Kenny EE, Hernandez RD, Beaty TH, Ruczinski I, Akey J; CAAPA., Barnes KC. A continuum of admixture in the Western Hemisphere revealed by the African Diaspora genome. Nat Commun. 2016 Oct 11;7:12522
- Leslie EJ*, Taub MA*, Liu H, Steinberg KM, Koboldt DC, Zhang Q, Carlson JC, Hetmanski JB, Wang H, Larson DE, Fulton RS, Kousa YA, Fakhouri WD, Naji A, Ruczinski I, Begum F, Parker MM, Busch T, Standley J, Rigdon J, Hecht JT, Scott AF, Wehby GL, Christensen K, Czeizel AE, Deleyiannis FW, Schutte BC, Wilson RK, Cornell RA, Lidral AC, Weinstock GM, Beaty TH, Marazita ML, Murray JC. Identification of functional variants for cleft lip with or without cleft palate in or near PAX7, FGFR2, and NOG by targeted sequencing of GWAS loci. Am J Hum Genet. 2015 Mar 5;96(3):397-411
- Taub MA, Schwender HR, Younkin SG, Louis TA, Ruczinski I. On multi-marker tests for association in case-control studies. Front. Genet. 2013, 4:252
- Montaño CM, Irizarry RA, Kaufmann WE, Talbot K, Gur RE, Feinberg AP, Taub MA. Measuring cell-type specific differential methylation in human brain tissue. Genome Biology 2013, 14:R94