Center & Institute Affiliations
9627 Carriage Rd.
health education; behavior change interventions; American Indian and Alaska Native health; community-based participatory research; community health workers; family-based interventions; maternal and child health; adolescent health
Experiences & Accomplishments
University of North Carolina
University of Richmond
My research interests are primarily in program development, implementation, and evaluation, particularly as it relates to child and adolescent health. I joined the Center for American Indian Health in 2007 focusing on intervention development and have worked on a number of programs covering topics such as child development and parenting, nutrition, substance abuse, and youth suicide prevention. As the Curriculum Director for the Center, I am in charge of the development and adaptation of many behavioral health programs.
Most recent publications
- Tingey L, Chambers R, Goklish N, Larzelere-Hinton F, Lee A, Suttle R, Rosenstock S, Lake K, Barlow A. Rigorous evaluation of a pregnancy prevention program for American Indian youth and adolescents: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. (Manuscript submitted to BMC Trials, October, 2016).
- Cwik M, Tingey L, Lee A, Suttle R, Lake K, Walkup J, Barlow A. Development and piloting of a brief intervention for suicidal American Indian adolescents. Am Indian Alsk Native Ment Health Res. 2016 23(1): 105-124.
- Barlow A, Mullany B, Neault N, Goklish N, Billy T, Hastings R, Lorenzo S, Kee C, Lake K, Redmond C, Carter A, Walkup JT. Paraprofessional-delivered home-visiting intervention for American Indian teen mothers and children: 3-year outcomes from a randomized controlled trial. Am J Psychiatry. 2015 Feb 1;172(2):154-62. Epub 2014 Oct 31. PMID: 25321149.
- Mullany B, Barlow A, Neault N, Billy T, Jones T, Tortice I, Lorenzo S, Powers J, Lake K, Reid R, Walkup J. The Family Spirit trial for American Indian teen mothers and their children: CBPR rationale, design, methods and baseline characteristics. Prev Sci. 2012 Oct;13(5):504-18. PMID: 22932743.
- Barlow A, Mullany BC, Neault N, Davis Y, Billy T, Hastings R, Coho-Mescal V, Lake K, Powers J, Clouse E, Reid R, Walkup JT. Examining correlates of methamphetamine and other drug use in pregnant American Indian adolescents. Am Indian Alsk Native Ment Health Res. 2010;17(1):1-24. PMID: 20683821.