Center & Institute Affiliations
Elizabeth Selvin, PhD '04, MPH, leads research at the nexus of epidemiology and clinical practice, focusing on diagnosing and screening for diabetes and prediabetes.
epidemiology; diabetes; diagnosis; screening; cardiovascular disease; obesity; biomarkers; diagnostics; continuous glucose monitoring; policy
Experiences & Accomplishments
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
University of Michigan School of Public Health
Dr. Elizabeth Selvin is a Professor of Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and holds a joint appointment in the School of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine. Dr. Selvin has devoted her career to leading translational research projects designed to evaluate and improve screening, diagnosis, and patient care for persons with diabetes. Her work has directly influenced clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis and management of diabetes. In 2013, she was awarded the Harry Keen Memorial Award by the International Diabetes Epidemiology Group of the International Diabetes Federation for her contributions to the field. She was the 2020 winner of the Kelly M. West Award for Outstanding Achievement in Epidemiology from the American Diabetes Association. Since the start of her academic career, Dr. Selvin has been continually funded as a principal investigator on grants from the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Selvin has a particular interest in the interface of epidemiology and clinical and public health policy. Much of her work focuses on the study of biomarkers and diagnostics relevant to diabetes and its complications. An overarching goal of her work is use epidemiologic research to inform diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and kidney disease screening, diagnosis, and treatment.
Honors & Awards
2020 Kelly West Award for Outstanding Achievement in Epidemiology, the American Diabetes Association 2015 Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health 2013 Harry Keen Memorial Award, International Diabetes Epidemiology Group, International Diabetes Federation 2012 Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health 2012 Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health 2012 Fellow of the American Heart Association 1999-2001 Dean’s Scholarship, University of Michigan School of Public Health 1999-2001 Klare Memorial Scholarship, University of Michigan School of Public Health 1999 Summa cum Laude, Northwestern University 1999 Phi Beta Kappa, Northwestern University
Selected Publications (out of over 400 total)
- Selvin E, Marinopoulos S, Berkenblit G, Rami T, Brancati FL, Powe NR, Golden SH. Meta-analysis: glycosylated hemoglobin and cardiovascular disease in diabetes mellitus. Ann Intern Med. 2004 Sep 21;141(6):421-31. PMID: 15381515
- Selvin E, Steffes MW, Zhu H, Matsushita K, Wagenknecht L, Pankow J, Coresh J, Brancati FL. Glycated hemoglobin, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk in nondiabetic adults. N Engl J Med. 2010 Mar 4;362(9):800-11. PMID: 20200384
- Selvin E, Steffes MW, Ballantyne CM, Hoogeveen RC, Coresh J, Brancati FL. Racial differences in glycemic markers: a cross-sectional analysis of community-based data. Ann Intern Med. 2011 Mar 1;154(5):303-9. PMID: 21357907
- Selvin E, Wang D, Matsushita K, Grams ME, Coresh J. Prognostic Implications of Single-Sample Confirmatory Testing for Undiagnosed Diabetes: A Prospective Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med. 2018 Aug 7;169(3):156-164. PMID: 29913486; PMCID: PMC6082697.
- Fang M, Wang D, Coresh J, Selvin E. Trends in Diabetes Treatment and Control in U.S. Adults, 1999-2018. N Engl J Med. 2021 Jun 10;384(23):2219-2228. PMID: 34107181
ARIC Diabetes and Prediabetes in Old Age
Biomarkers in ADVANCE
Co-occurrence of Chronic Kidney Disease in Major Chronic Disease
Cardiac Biomarkers for Risk Stratification
ARIC Diabetes - Continuous Glucose Monitoring
ARIC Peripheral Neuropathy
Continuous Glucose Monitoring in the DASH4D Trial