Center & Institute Affiliations
Wendy Shields, PhD, MPH '96, uses research and partnerships to advance policies that reduce the risk of home injuries.
Childhood Injury; Housing Quality; Health Literacy; Computer Tailoring; Native American Injury Prevention
Experiences & Accomplishments
Erasmus Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
St. Joseph's University
Relationship between Housing Quality and Home Injury Risks
- Kenney A, Shields WC; Frattaroli S, Barlow A. Unintentional Injury Deaths among Residents of the Fort Apache Indian Reservation, 2006-2012 in press Injury Prevention 2019
- Omaki E; Shields WC, McDonald EM, Aitken M, Bishai D, Case J, Gielen AC. Evaluating a smartphone application to improve child passenger safety and fire safety knowledge and behavior. Injury Prevention. 2017 Feb;23(1):58.
- Frattaroli S, Shields WC, Malloy M, Omaki E, Gielen AG. How are Prescription Medications Stored in Urban Homes where Children Live? Opportunities for Poisoning Prevention. Clinical Pediatrics. 2017 Jun;56(7):678-681
- Shields WC, McDonald EM, Frattaroli S, Bishai D, AC Gielen. Housing Elements associated with Home injuries and analysis using the NEISS data system. Injury Prevention 2015 Aug 20.
- Shields WC, McDonald EM, Pfisterer K, AC Gielen. Scald burns in children under 3 years: An analysis of NEISS narratives to inform a scald burn prevention program. Injury Prevention 2015 Oct;21(5):296-300.
Community Partnerships for Child Safety
A Study of Community Risk Reduction (CRR) Home Visiting Programs in the U.S.
Housing Characteristics and Child Injury Risks: A New Tool for Researchers and Policy Makers
Data-Driven Capacity Building for the Baltimore City Fire Department
Community Based Participatory Research in Child Safety
Infant Safe Sleep Intervention Trial
A New m-Health Tool for Injury Prevention Anticipatory Guidance of Parents with Infants,
Child Injury Prevention
First Responder Health: Review of Virginia's Disease Presumptions