624 N Broadway
Clinical quality measures; eCQM; public reporting of performance data; value-based payment models; patient-reported outcome measures; nursing-sensitive measures, statistical process control; data science; international health; health systems.
Experiences & Accomplishments
Freie Universität Berlin
Johns Hopkins University
Univeristy of Oxford
My current research interests focus on the integration of clinical process, outcomes, and patient reported outcomes measures. Additional interests are value-based payment models and public reporting initiatives.
Honors & Awards
Johns Hopkins University Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2017 HHS Innovates Finalist, 2011 Alpha Chapter of the Delta Omega Society of Public Health, 1998 Ambassadorial Scholarship of the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, 1994 DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service Scholarship to the University of Oxford, 1992
Selected publications from the last few years.
- St-Pierre GH, Yang MH, Bourget-Murray J, Thomas KC, Hurlbert RJ, Matthes N. Performance Indicators in Spine Surgery.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017 Jun 27. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000002309.
- Patricia W. Stone, Sherry A. Glied, Peter D. McNair, Nikolas Matthes, Bevin Cohen, Timothy F. Landers, Elaine L. Larson. CMS Changes in Reimbursement for Hospital Acquired Infections: Setting a Research Agenda. Med Care. 2010 May;48(5):433-9.
- Nikolas Matthes, Jacob Cheng, Sam Ogunbo, Ashlie Wilbon, Nell Wood. National hospital quality measures data: supporting nurses' key roles in organizational performance improvement. J Nurs Care Qual. 2010 Apr-Jun;25(2):127-36.
- Nikolas Matthes. Pay for Performance for Hospitals in the United States. Gesundh ökon Qual manag 2009; 14: 132–143.
- Nikolas Matthes, Samuel Ogunbo, Gaither Pennington, Nell Wood, Marilyn K. Hart, Robert F. Hart, PhD Statistical Process Control for Hospitals: Methodology, User Education, and Challenges. Quality Management in Health Care. 2007 July-September;16(3):203-14