Epidemiologic Methods; Epidemiology; Data science; Observational Studies; Cohort Studies; Quantitative Methodology; Treatments; HIV; HIV/AIDS; Biomarkers; Biostatistics; Data Management
Experiences & Accomplishments
For nearly three decades, I’ve been fortunate to weave a rich tapestry of diverse roles and impactful leadership experiences at Johns Hopkins: researcher, teacher/mentor, and academic leader.
My research interests are reflected in more than 300 publications and include epidemiological and statistical methods for cohort studies, data science, evaluation of therapies and biomarkers in observational studies, epidemiology and pathogenesis of infectious diseases, and data management and statistical coordinating centers. Much of my work is in HIV/AIDS with experience and scientific leadership that spans basic, clinical, epidemiological, and policy-level research. I am an mPI of the data center for the MACS-WIHS Collaborative Cohort Study (MWCCS) which extends the longest-running cohort studies of HIV-infected men and women in the US. I also established the Epidemiology/Biostatistics Core Director for the North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration of Research and Design (NA-ACCORD), the JHU Center for AIDS Research Biostat & Epi Methods Core, and served as the study statistician on numerous other observational studies and clinical trials.
I have been the primary advisor to more than 25 graduate students and the primary instructor for over 15 different onsite and online courses. I've contributed to the reorganization of many of the department's methods series and led the department's Gateway Sciences Initiative project focused on active and blended learning pedagogy. I helped establish three novel masters degrees, a collaborative MPH with IIHMR/Jaipur in India, and the first DrPH in China focused on Healthcare Management and Leadership program in collaboration with Tsinghua University.
Lastly, I have been honored to serve in a number of leadership roles here at JHU: Deputy Chair of the department, President of the school's Faculty Senate and its Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, and Executive Vice Provost and Interim Provost of the university.
Honors & Awards
- Ernest L. Stebbins Faculty Award Recognizing Excellence and Innovation, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Invited Member, American Epidemiological Society
- Fellow, American College of Epidemiology
- Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Recognition Award (AMTRA) from Student Assembly, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Elected Member, Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society, Alpha Chapter, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Biometrics Society (ENAR) Student Travel Award. Paper also selected as one of top submissions.
- Society of Clinical Trials Student Scholarship Travel Award.
- Adjunct Professor, Indian Institute of Health Management Research (IIHMR), Jaipur, India
- JHU Leadership Development Program, School of Medicine Master Mentor Program, and Provost’s Academic Leadership Program
- Co-Chair, Office of AIDS Research Planning Workshop for Natural History and Epidemiology
- Editorial Boards of JAIDS: Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and AIDS Research and Therapy
- AIDS Clinical Studies and Epidemiology Study Section