older people; comorbidity; multiple chronic conditions; multimorbidity; disability, functional recovery, chronic disease care, quality of life, guidelines
Experiences & Accomplishments
Duke University School of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Dr. Boyd is Professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in the Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, and is a core faculty member at the Johns Hopkins Center on Aging and Health and the Roger C. Lipitz Center for Integrated Health Care. Dr. Boyd is jointly appointed in the Department of Health Policy and Management. Dr. Boyd is a Robert Wood Johnson Physician Faculty Scholar. She is trained in internal medicine, geriatric medicine and epidemiology. Dr. Boyd’s main interests include the clinical care of comorbid chronically ill and frail older adults both chronically and during acute illness such as hospitalization. Current projects include 1) Treatment Burden Among Older adults with Multimorbidity, 2) Treatment Burden Among Older Adults with Diabetes and Multimorbidity, 3) The Importance of Competing Risks in Decision-Making for the elderly, and 4) The effects of Guided Care on Quality of Care, 5) Improving Clinical Pratice Guidelines for the elderly.
Honors & Awards
2010 American Geriatrics Society Oustanding Achievement in Clinical Investigation Award 2009 Beeson Scholar 2008 Robert Wood Johnson Physician Faculty Scholar 2007 Presidential Poster Session, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society 2007 American Geriatric Society New Investigator Award, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society 2005 Presidential Poster Session, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society 2005 Best Epidemiology Paper, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society 2003 Presidential Poster Award: Clinical Practice Guidelines and Older Adults with Multiple Comorbid Conditions, Models of Geriatric Care, American Geriatric Society 2002 Presidential Poster Session, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society 2001-2002 Geriatric Medicine Fellow, John A. Hartford Foundation 2001 Clinical Research Fellow Award, Department of Medicine Annual Retreat, Johns Hopkins University 2001 Presidential Poster Session, Annual Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society 1995-1996 Albert C. Schweitzer Fellow, North Carolina 1995 Pathology Honor Society, Duke University School of Medicine 1995 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Duke University School of Medicine 1990 Summer Fellowship, American Heart Association 1988 U.S. Presidential Scholar, New Jersey
- Qaseem A, Wilt TJ, McLean RM, Forciea MA; Clinical Guidelines Committee of the American College of Physicians.. Noninvasive Treatments for Acute, Subacute, and Chronic Low Back Pain: A Clinical Practice Guideline From the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Feb 14. doi: 10.7326/M16-2367. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wolff J, Rand-Giovannetti E, Boyd CM, Reider L, Palmer S, Scharfstein D, Marsteller J, Wegener S, Frey K, Leff B, Frick K, Boult C. Effects of Guided Care on Family Caregivers. The Gerontologist 2010 Aug;50(4):459-70. [Epub 2009 Aug 26.]
- Boyd CM, Reider L, Frey K, Scharfstein D, Leff B, Wolff J, Groves C, Karm L, Wegener S, Marsteller J, Boult C. The Effects of Guided Care on the Perceived Quality of Health Care for Multi-morbid Older Persons: 18 month Outcomes from A Cluster-Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of General Internal Medicine. March 2010. 25(3):235-42
- Schoenborn NL, Lee K, Pollack CE, Armacost K, Dy S, Bridges JF, Xue QL, Wolff A, Boyd, C. Older adults’ views and communication preferences around cancer screening cessation JAMA Internal Medicine. In Press 2017.
- Bennett W, Robbins CW, Bayliss EA, Wilson R, Tabano H, Mularski RA, Chan WV, Puhan M, Yu T, Leff B, Li T, Dickersin K, Glover C, Maslow K, Armacost K, Mintz S, Boyd CM. Engaging Stakeholders to Inform Clinical Practice Guidelines that Address Multiple Chronic Conditions. JGIM. In Press 2017
The Johns Hopkins ACG® System
Informing Patient-Centered Care for People with Multiple Chronic Conditions