Center & Institute Affiliations
Population; fertility; family planning, reproductive health
Experiences & Accomplishments
University of Hawaii
University of Chicago
Research interests include family planning, fertility, and related health issues in developing countries. My current research is on the effects of various family planning and health service delivery models on contraceptive, fertility, and sexual health outcomes in sub-Saharan African and other low-income countries
Honors & Awards
State of Illinois, House of Representatives, Certificate of Recognition, 1981 Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Summer Fellow, 1980 Delta Omega (Public Health) Honor Society Robert J. Lapham Award, Population Association of America, 1999 Bernard G. Greenberg Alumni Endowment Award, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1999 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2004 Champion of Public Health, Tulane School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, 2005 AMTRA Award, JHSPH, 2006-07 Golden Apple Award, JHSPH, 2009 Carl S. Schulz Lifetime Achievement Award, Population, Reproductive and Sexual Health Section, American Public Health Association, November 2010
Recent selected publications
- Fruhauf T, Zimmerman L, Kibira S, Makumbi F, Gichangi P, Shiferaw S, Seme A, Guiella G., Tsui A. Measuring family planning quality and its link with contraceptive use in public facilities in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Uganda. Health Policy and Planning (forthcoming), 2018.
- Tsui A, Brown W, and Li QF. Contraceptive practices in sub-Saharan Africa. Population and Development Review 43 (Supplement S1):166-191-2017
- Li QF and Tsui AO, Maternal risk exposure and adult daughters’ health, schooling and employment: A constructed cohort analysis of 50 developing countries. Demography 53(3): 835-863, 2016
- S. Ahmed, Q.F. Li, L. Liu, and A. Tsui. Maternal deaths averted by contraceptive use: Results from a global analysis of 172 countries. The Lancet 380 (9837): 111-125, 2012.
- J. Cleland, A. Conde-Agudelo, H. Peterson, J. Ross and A. Tsui. Contraception and health. The Lancet 380(9837): 149-56, 2012.
Contraception and Abortion
Performance Monitoring and Accountability 2020 (PMA2020) Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
Performance Monitoring and Accountability/Agile
Performance Monitoring for Action (PMA)