The Chemical Biology of Drugs that Shape Public Health
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
2023 - 2024
M, W, 1:30 - 2:50pm
Undergraduate Biochemistry or equivalent.
Drugs can either beneficially or detrimentally impact public health. Do you know how these molecules work at a chemical and molecular level?
Surveys how drugs that impact society function on a molecular level. Includes topics ranging from the helpful to the harmful, such as vitamins, antibiotics, cancer therapies, and opioids. Focuses on the biological and chemical properties of these drugs. Examines how drug-based interactions alter cellular and molecular behavior and touches on how these drugs impact society. Focuses primarily on the biochemical modes of drug action.
Learning ObjectivesUpon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Analyze the physical interaction of drugs with its macromolecular target
- Describe the molecular factors that would influence the decision whether to use a drug clinically
- Rationalize how mutations would affect a drug: target interactions
- Explain the impact of the drug on public health
- Propose a molecular strategy to improve/design a drug
Methods of Assessment
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 20% Written Assignment(s)
- 80% Exam(s)