Premedical Seminars: Planning and Preparing for Medical School Application
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
2023 - 2024
One Saturday session, June 13, 2020
Wednesday, 5:30 - 6:20pm
The journey of being a premedical student is usually very challenging. The plephora of available information can be not only overwhelming, but at times misleading. In these seminars we are going to address the misconceptions about what it takes to be a competitive medical school applicant. Also, we are going to tackle all aspects of the application.
Helps students prepare to apply to medical school. Covers specific topics to address the complex premedical journey, including planning the months/years leading up to the application, reviewing the application process, addressing the medical schools’ expectations, medical school selection, writing the personal statement, requesting letters of evaluation, interviewing, and more. Addresses different sets of questions in each term.
Learning ObjectivesUpon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describes the process and the components of medical school application and admission
- Recognizes individual strengths and weaknesses as it relates to preparation for application to medical school
- Develops a plan to gain knowledge, skills, competences, and experience for a competitive application to medical school
- Identifies ways for providing supporting evidence to admissions committees
- Researches, evaluates, and identifies medical schools that are appropriate for the student's experience and meet their own needs
- Recognizes the role of recommendation letters, identify appropriate recommenders, and develop a plan for requesting recommendation letters
- Composes the personal statement through writing, editing and revising it
- Develops professional interviewing skills
Methods of Assessment
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 50% Participation
- 50% Reflection
Please note: the course content is different between all four terms.