140.621 or equivalent
Note: For most classes we will be writing code in R. By the end of the course, you will have installed many R packages, checked their documentation, adapted examples, and written R code yourself. If you know the basics of programming in another language or the basics of R, you will be equipped to handle the material in the course, though if you haven't written code in any language in a few years you will face a steeper learning curve early on.
- Install and configure software necessary for a statistical programming environment
- Discuss generic programming language concepts as they are implemented in a high-level statistical language
- Write and debug code in base R and the tidyverse (and integrate code from Python modules)
- Build basic data visualizations using R and the tidyverse
- Discuss best practices for coding and reproducible research, basics of data ethics, basics of working with special data types, and basics of storing data
- 100% Project(s)