Health Policy and Management
2023 - 2024
Strategic management is the continuous planning, monitoring, analysis and assessment of all that is necessary for an organization to meet its goals and objectives. Strategic management is one of the most important "hard skills" in business management. In Strategic Management, a student learns how he can manage businesses and projects proactively with a focus on long-term strategy, rather than reacting to day-to-day hiccups.
Presents a practical framework for formulating, implementing and controlling organizational and program strategies in public health. Provides an overview of the sub-systems, processes and models in strategic management as applicable to public health and health care organizations. Critically reviews the major environmental trends affecting healthcare organizations. Discusses how to use internal and external environmental analysis to identify the bases of sustained competitive advantage. Presents frameworks for strategy formulation and implementation including SWOT analysis and decision logic.
Learning ObjectivesUpon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explain why strategic management has become crucial in today’s dynamic health care environment
- Appreciate the significance of the general external environment's impact on health care organizations
- Identify major environmental trends affecting healthcare
- Perform analyses of internal and external environmental factors
- Describe the process of developing an implementation strategy in public health policy and programs
Methods of Assessment
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 30% Assignments
- 40% Exam(s)
- 30% Midterm