Introduction to Data Management
2023 - 2024
M, W, 10:30 - 11:50am
Introduces students to the principles and skills required to collect and manage research data in a public health setting. Focuses on tools for collecting data that range from spreadsheets to web-based systems, database fundamentals, data collection form design, data entry screen design, proper coding of data, strategies for quality control and data cleaning, protection and sharing of data, and integrating data from external sources. Includes practical and hands-on exercises that require some entry-level computer programming.
Learning ObjectivesUpon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Evaluate and select the appropriate tools for collection and management of study data.
- Describe data design issues involved in collecting research data
- Develop strategies for maintaining data quality, protecting and sharing data
- Manage and manipulate research study data.
Methods of Assessment
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 10% Class participation
- 80% Programming assignments
- 10% Midterm
Please note: This is the onsite section of a course that is also offered virtually. Students will need to commit to the modality for which they register.