The Practice of Public Health Through Vaccine Case Studies: Problem Solving Seminar
2022 - 2023
In DrPH program OR completed 223.662 Vaccine Development and Application. Completed Introduction to Online Learning.
Vaccines are among the most effective medical and public health interventions. Are you interested in learning about the practice of public health in the vaccine world? Do you want to understand how vaccination programs translate science into public health practice?
Presents a historic vaccine case study highlighting challenges in emerging science, program design and evaluation, management, policy and communication. Examines decision-making surrounded by scientific uncertainty, controversy and competing public health priorities. Explores the challenges of developing policy and practice decisions within the constraints of emerging and uncertain science. Challenge students to make policy decisions and develop programmatic and communication strategies in real world settings.
Learning ObjectivesUpon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explain key immunization stakeholder and decision-makers and how they contribute to vaccine policy and practice
- Identify, synthesize and apply evidence based public health research and theory from a broad range of disciplines and data sources for problem solving and to advance vaccine programs, policies, and systems
- Facilitate shared decision making through negotiation and consensus-building methods regarding policies and practices that advance public health using scientific knowledge, analysis, communication and consensus building (DrPH FC 8)
- Communicate public health science to diverse stakeholders, including at all levels of health literacy, to inform and influence individual, organization, and community behavior and policies to promote the health of the public (DrPH FC 5)
- Propose human, fiscal, and other resources within public health organizations to achieve a strategic goal (DrPH FC 12)
- Integrate scientific research, legal and regulatory approaches, ethical frameworks, and varied stakeholder interests in vaccine policy development and analysis (DrPH FC 16)
Methods of Assessment
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 70% Written Assignment(s)
- 30% Participation
Enrollment restricted to first year Doctor of Public Health students only