Social and Behavioral Interventions Practicum
2022 - 2023
The field placement is an activity in which the student, the placement agency, and the faculty share responsibility for gaining practical experience in one or more aspects of social and behavioral global health interventions. All three parties are involved in developing work objectives to guide the student's field placement experience, thus creating a unique integrating opportunity for the MSPH student.
Complements and reinforces the didactic portion of the MSPH program. Provides students with an opportunity to apply the knowledge gained during the first year, to develop skills in the development, implementation, and evaluation of social and behavioral global health interventions, according to individually designed learning objectives, and to work as part of a team in an applied research or practice project. Places students in a variety of professional settings, which may include: government, non-government organizations (NGOs), multi-lateral, private, and/or for-profit sector. Provides opportunity for feedback for student performance and placement experiences
Learning ObjectivesUpon successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Integrate and apply knowledge, methods and skills learned in courses taken on the first year of the MSPH in a practical setting, to allow for the seamless transition from student to public health professional.
- Develop new skills essential for functioning as an effective global health professional, in assuming responsibility on the ground and becoming a reliable and collaborative member of a project team, an effective communicator, writer, trainer and implementer.
- Evaluate a program or field project as it relates to the socio-cultural and health context, behavioral and health impact, community involvement and program process.
- Develop a proposal, report, or other written document.
- Take initiative, provide direction, and participate in the implementation, evaluation and/or analysis required to establish and achieve project goals.
- Communicate effectively, manage relationships and participate in teams
Methods of Assessment
This course is evaluated as follows:
- 100% Participation