Selected Topics in Women's Health and Women's Health Policy
- Assess women's health and health concerns within the context of a life course framework which addresses the social, cultural and economic contexts in which women live
- Describe definitions of women's health in current use and evaluate the applicability of a gender justice framework for viewing women's health policies in developed and developing countries for selected health concerns
- Describe current health and policy concerns for selected topics such as family planning, preventive services for women, chronic disease, migration, mental health, gender-based violence, and disability
- Compare and contrast varying stakeholder’s perspective on current and critical issues pertaining to women’s health and health policy
- 72% Written Assignment(s)
- 18% Discussion Board
- 10% Participation
The total points in this course add up to 100. There are 3 written assignments - one on statistics, one on gender justice, and a third blog post. Each of these assignments is worth 21 points.
Second, there are quizzes on many of the readings. As long as you TAKE the quiz you will get full credit. These are each worth 1 point for a total of 14.
Third, the TA and I ask that you put comments on the discussion board at least 24 hours before the livetalk. These comments are worth 3 points each for a total of 9 points.
Fourth, we ask that you post either a response to the reading or a response to other people’s comments on the discussion board at least three times throughout the course. This can be something you found interesting in the readings or something you found interesting in someone else’s comments. These are also each worth 3 points for a total of 9 points.
Finally, participation (based on listening to the lectures and attending livetalks) is worth 5 points.