Local Global Learning
After of a decade spent exploring and addressing the systemic, complex health equity challenges in the US, we understand that similar issues are encountered and surmounted by communities and dedicated supporters in other geographical locations.
Our team recognizes the critical value of building upon and sharing these collective experiences of local communities around the globe. To stimulate and support valuable two-way learning, the Center for Health Equity launched a new cross-cutting theme, Health Equity Local Global Learning, in 2018 to develop meaningful and sustainable learning partnerships between community groups and academics who are focused on advancing health equity.
We incorporate this two-way learning into all our center strategies with the goal of addressing persistent barriers that prevent optimal health and wellbeing of populations in multiple locations in the USA and around the world.
Advancing health equity locally and globally is a way of thinking. It is not about geography per se, but about identifying established research findings regarding factors that perpetuate or mitigate health inequities and applying them to local circumstances in neighborhoods, villages, cities, and regions around the globe. The collaborations and educational training programs of this crosscutting area will transcend, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, culture, and political, economic, or social ideology. Our approach draws upon fundamental principles and values such as human rights, social justice, appreciation for diverse ideas and perspectives, inclusiveness, trustworthiness, and participatory decision-making.
Our Local Global Learning Activities
Updates And Stories
Local Global Learning
For latest news and stories about recent Local Global Learning activities.
Local Global Learning In Action
Visual image galleries of our local global learning in action.
Local Global Learning Expert Panel, April 2019
Local Lessons & Global Applications: Achieving Health Equity Together.
Field Research + Expeditions
- ADHINCRA project research team trips to Kumasi, Ghana in January 2019, July 2019, January 2020
- Partnership trip for Center for Health Equity and Alliance for a Healthier World to Kampala, Uganda in October 2018
- Partnership trip with Baylor University in Uganda, Community Advisory Boards Evaluation research, from Baltimore to Kampala, Uganda in June 2019
Special Learning Sessions
- Expert panel Achieving Health Equity Together: Local Lessons & Global Applications, April 2019. Featured in Event Video box.
- Exploratory workshop Global to Local Design Thinking Strategies, October 2018