Education and Training
The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Equity offers several educational opportunities to advance understanding of health equity challenges and skills to conduct research, deliver health care, health promotion, or other services to address social determinants of health, and engage with policymakers to inform institutional and social change. Our courses, events, and other learning materials are designed for researchers, trainees, health professionals, public health practitioners, and students who are interested in pursuing careers in health equity research, practice, or policy. These opportunities include a unique mentoring program for trainees, educational events, degree courses, and learning materials.
Our Approach to Education and Training
We develop and implement didactic training and oversee the implementation of didactic training and mentorship in health disparities and health equity research methods for pre-doctoral, post-doctoral, junior faculty, and senior faculty scholars in Schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Nursing within Johns Hopkins University and other academic institutions.
Our training curriculum combines original elements with proven training tools. The Core uses a transdisciplinary approach that integrates theories, concepts, and methods used by our Center's research investigators. Along with coursework taken for degree programs, trainees attend research seminars and participate in study team meetings, community advisory board meetings, and service-learning experiences.
Special Events and Learning Materials
- Special Events and Health Equity Jam Sessions offer opportunities for colleagues and community members to engage with one other
- Our for-credit courses provide a comprehensive introduction to innovative methods to conduct research and translate evidence-based strategies into practice and policy
- Our additional learning materials include massive open online courses (MOOCs), and educational tools, such as factsheets, videos, photographic displays, and presentations.
History of the Program
To learn more about the development of this unique education and training program, please see the following publications:
- Golden SH, Purnell TS, Matens R, Miller E, Nguyen T, Gudzune KA, Crews D, Mahlangu-Ngcobo M, Levine D, Cooper LA. A Community-Engaged Cardiovascular Health Disparities Research Training Curriculum: Implementation and Preliminary Outcomes. Acad Med. 2014 Oct; 89(10): 1348-56.
- Cooper LA. Commentary: Training and Mentoring the Next Generation of Health Equity Researchers: Insights from the Field. Ethn Dis. 2018 Oct 18;28(4):579-585.
We provide unique opportunities to those seeking training in research, practice, and advocacy to address health equity all levels of experience.
Jam Sessions and Special Events
Convening opportunities for health professional, researchers, students, and community residents or leaders to learn, present ideas, make new connections.
Courses and Learning Materials
For-credit degree courses and non-degree MOOCs, factsheets, videos provide a comprehensive introduction to health equity research.