Lectures and Events
Innovations in Tobacco Control Lecture Series
The Institute hosts the monthly Innovations in Tobacco Control lecture series where key researchers and experts share ideas, present their work, and spark discussion. We currently present lectures online through Zoom. Join our mailing list to receive emails about upcoming lectures. Watch previous lectures here or on our YouTube channel.
Fall-Winter 2023 Lectures
Tobacco Control Policies in Hong Kong—Challenges & Opportunities
On October 25, 2023, IGTC welcomed guest speaker Sophia Siu Chee Chan, PhD. Professor Chan is currently Professor in Nursing and Senior Advisor to the President’s Office at The University of Hong Kong.
Global Tobacco Control: Looking Back, Looking Forward
On September 19, 2023, in observance of IGTC’s 25th anniversary (#IGTC25), we welcomed IGTC founding director Jonathan M. Samet, MD, MS. He is Professor of Epidemiology and Environmental and Occupational Health and the former Dean of the Colorado School of Public Health.
Winter-Spring 2023 Lectures
Tobacco Industry CSR Claims, Consumer Perceptions, and Policies in Brazil
On May 3, 2023, IGTC welcomed guest speaker Jennifer Pearson, PhD. She is an Associate Professor in Health Administration and Policy in the School of Public Health at the University of Nevada, Reno.
Global Tobacco Advertising, Promotion and Sponsorship
On April 25, 2023, IGTC welcomed guest speaker Becky Freeman, PhD. As part of the Prevention Research Collaboration, University of Sydney, Freeman leads a program of research focused on countering the commercial determinants of health.
Imagining Things Otherwise: Aotearoa New Zealand’s Tobacco Endgame
On March 9, 2023, IGTC welcomed guest speaker Janet Hoek, PhD. She is a Professor of Public Health at the University of Otago, Wellington.
Capsule Cigarette Sales in Mexico, 2018–2021
On February 16, 2023, IGTC welcomed guest speaker Tuo-Yen Tseng, PhD. She is an Assistant Scientist in the Department of Health, Behavior and Society at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Tobacco Industry Pricing Strategies in Mexico
On January 19, 2023, IGTC welcomed guest speaker Belén Sáenz de Miera Juárez, PhD. She is currently a lecturer at the Autonomous University of Baja California Sur (UABCS) in northwestern Mexico.
- Fernanda Alonso: Policies Related to Health Warning Label Rotation in the PAHO region
- Kamran Siddiqi: Policies Related to Smokeless Tobacco
- Armando Peruga: The Evolution of Tobacco Control
- Les Hagen: Global Tobacco Control Progress Hub
- Mitch Zeller: Reflections on 28 Years of Tobacco Regulatory Policy Work
- Connie Hoe: Strategies to Expand Corporate Autonomy by the Tobacco Industry and Others
- Xiaozhao Yousef Yang: Policy Implications of Unassisted Smoking and Chinese Smokers
- Joseph G. L. Lee: The Role of Tobacco Retailer Proximity and Density on Adult Smoking and Health Outcomes
- Yvette Van Der Eijk: Tobacco Industry Strategies for Flavour Capsule Cigarettes
- Rijo M. John: Goods and Services Taxation and Affordability of Tobacco Products
- Lauren Czaplicki: Standardizing the Shape of Smokeless Tobacco Packs Sold in Bangladesh
- Jennifer Brown: Colors, Capsules and Concept Flavor Names on Cigarette Packs Appeal to Youth in Mexico
- Xi Yin: Use of Electronic Cigarettes among Chinese Young People
- Tim Dewhirst: Life in the Heroic and Innovative Lane: F1 Sponsorship by Marlboro and Mission Winnow
- Rebekah Rodericks and Katherine Peck: Flavored Tobacco Product Restrictions and Bans
- Pranay Lal: The Use of Brand Stretching and Surrogate Ads by Major BIDI and ST Companies in India
- James Pankow: Flavor Chemicals Used in Nicotine/Tobacco Products ... It's a Long List
- Praveen Sinha: Tobacco Control: Learnings from India
- Ben Hawkins: Beyond Tobacco Exceptionalism
- Vera da Costa e Silva: A Whirlwind Tour Through the WHO FCTC
- Jeffrey Drope: Importance of Measuring Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products: Evidence from Latin America
- Joaquin Barnoya: Emerging Tobacco Products in an Unregulated Market: Lessons from Guatemala
- Popup Symposium: As a response to increased attention on the topic of flavored e-cigarettes, IGTC convened a popup practice symposium "Flavored E-Cigarettes: What the FDA, States and Cities are Doing and Why" featuring experts from across the country.
- Patricio Marquez: Tobacco Taxation: A Win Win Win Policy
- M. Justin Byron: Do High E-cigarette Taxes Drive Vapers to Cigarettes?
- Marissa Reitsma: Quantifying the Global Health Impacts of Smoking
- Kevin Welding: The Market for Tobacco Products in India: Evidence from Semi-Urban and Rural Towns in Five States
- Julia Chen-Sankey: Flavored E-cigarettes in the U.S. and Other Countries
- Douglas Bettcher: The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in global health development: Public health history in the making
- Katherine Clegg Smith and Caitlin Weiger: Be careful where you click. How terms of service restrict research on product websites.
- Jennifer Fang: China National Tobacco: An emerging dragon?
- April Roeseler: Ending the tobacco epidemic in California.
- David L. Ashley: How scientific research informs tobacco regulatory science.
- Vanessa Garcia-Larsen: The relationship of diet, lung function, and chronic airways diseases: An epidemiological perspective.
- Benn McGrady: Implications of the WTO Panel Report in Australia.
- Tesfa Alexander: Tobacco public education campaigns then and now: Taking a science-based and practical approach
- Lisa Lagasse: Smooth, timeless, evolving: Marlboro's new global image
- Oladimeji Oladepo: Tobacco control legislation in Nigeria: Chronicles of a decade of intrigues and victories
- Vandana Shah: Tobacco control policy progress in Asia: Case study on India's graphic health warnings policy
Spring and Fall 2017
- Michael Chaiton: Banning menthol from tobacco: How is it working in Ontario, Canada so far, and the tobacco industry response
- Timothy Dewhirst: Principles of tobacco branding
- Richard Edwards: Smokefree 2025 and ASPIRE 2025: Research to achieve the endgame for tobacco smoking
- Thomas Eissenberg: Waterpipe (hookah) tobacco smoking: What is the evidence that it supports nicotine/tobacco dependence, and why should you care?
- Meghan Brigid Moran: Pop culture matters: How understanding media, advertising, and the social worlds of adolescents can help tobacco control efforts
- Luz Myriam Reynales Shigematsu: Tobacco control in Mexico: 12 years of success and challenges
- Xisca Sureda: Second-hand smoke exposure outdoors: New challenges for tobacco control