Pigs for Peace: Livestock Microfinance to Improve Health, Economic Stability and Family/Social Relationships
Lead investigator: Nancy Glass
In collaboration with a Congolese-led microfinance program, PAIDEK, the team is evaluating the effectiveness of a livestock microfinance intervention, Pigs for Peace (PFP) www.pigsforpeace.org, on economic, general and mental health and intimate partner violence (IPV) outcomes in 10 rural villages in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Results from 12-month follow-up demonstrate improvements in general health and mental health. Further, participants report a reduction of male perpetrated IPV, specifically controlling behaviors and psychological abuse of female partners. The PAIDEK-Hopkins research collaboration continues and we are currently preparing for 24-month post-baseline data collection in intervention and control households in the 10 villages from January-March 2016. With support from R01 MD006075, Glass (PI), 12/2010 - 11/2016. NIH/National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD)
- Cherewick M, Kohli A, Remy MM, Murhula CM, Bin Kurhorhwa AK, Mirindi AB, Bufole NM, Banywesize JH, Ntakwinja GM, Kindja GM, Glass N (2015). Coping among war-affected youth in the Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo: A Qualitative Study. Conflict and Health, 9(34).
- Kohli A, Perrin N, Mpanano RM, Banywesize L, Mirindi AB, Banywesize JH, Mitima CM, Binkurhorhwa AK, Bufole NM, Glass N (2015). Family and community driven response to intimate partner violence in post-conflict settings. Social Science and Medicine.
- Kohli A, Perrin N, Mpanano RM, Case J, Murhula CM, Binkurhorhwa AK, Mirindi AB, Banywesize JH, Bufole NM, Ntwali EM, Glass N (2015). Social interaction in the aftermath of conflict-related trauma experiences among women in Walungu Territory, Democratic Republic of Congo. Global Public Health 10(1):55-70. PMID:25363537. PMC4262667.
- Glass N, Perrin NA, Kohli A, Remy MM (2014). Livestock/animal assets buffer the impact of conflict-related traumatic events on mental health symptoms for rural women. PLoS One, 9(11).
- Glass, N, Ramazani, P, Tosha, M, Mpanano, M, Cinyabuguma, M (2011). A Congolese-US Participatory Action Research Partnership to Rebuild the Lives of Rape Survivors and Their Families in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Global Public Health. 1-12.