Skip to main content
Records and Registration

Veterans Benefits

Students eligible for Post 9/11, Chapter 33 veterans’ benefits register in the same manner as other students. A partial tuition payment is made by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) directly to the university. The amount of payment is governed by the student’s eligibility established by the VA. The student is responsible for the remaining tuition.

Initial Enrollment

To obtain veterans’ educational benefits, the student must comply with the following procedures:

Once admitted to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, the student must apply for benefits with the VA. Students are encouraged to apply for VA benefits online at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA will issue a “Certificate of Eligibility” to the student indicating the percentage of benefit rate, duty status, and eligibility for Yellow Ribbon. A copy of the completed application along with a certified copy of the DD-214, (not required for active duty members), is sent to the VA Certifying Official, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Registrar’s Office, 615 N. Wolfe Street, Suite E1002, Baltimore, MD 21205 or via email to Students may print and submit a "Post 9/11 GI Bill® Statement of Benefits" from the website while awaiting the issuance of the "Certificate of Eligibility". We do require, however, that the "Certificate of Eligibility" be submitted to our office once available.

Students are also required to complete the Student Acknowledgement Section in SIS Self-Service --

Eligible dependents of veterans should refer to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to obtain the correct application form depending on the dates of service of the veteran.

Yellow Ribbon Funding

The Bloomberg School will fund one eligible student at $6000 per year. The yearly amount of $6000 will be distributed throughout the standard academic year of four terms (Terms 1-4) once the VA benefits have been exhausted.

To be eligible for Yellow Ribbon funding under the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, a student must enroll on a full-time basis (minimum of 12 credits per term). Eligible applicants will be reviewed and prioritized based on the receipt/ submission date of the applicant's "Post 9/11 Certificate of Eligibility" or "Post 9/11 GI Bill® Statement of Benefits" to the School.

These are general rules for determining who receives the Yellow Ribbon at the Bloomberg School:

  • The student must be enrolled in either a part-time or full-time degree program and enrolling for a minimum of 12 credits per term
  • The student must not receive any money from their department or program
  • Yellow Ribbon money will be distributed only when the student's VA benefits have been exhausted
  • Active-duty service members are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon unless they are Purple Heart Recipients. Spouses of service members on active duty are also ineligible unless the service member is a Purple Heart Recipient


Students who are receiving veterans’ benefits must inform the Certifying Official at the time of registration that they wish to be re-certified for each term they register to ensure timely processing of VA benefits and to avoid penalties. Students receiving veterans’ benefits must take courses that lead toward the exact objective (usually a specific degree) on the original VA application. Otherwise, they must submit a Request for Change of Program (VA Form 22-1995).

Students using veterans’ benefits must let the Certifying Official know immediately of any change in their status or program that might affect the amount of their payment from the VA. If the student fails to do so, the Department of Veterans Affairs will seek reimbursement from the student for any over-payment.

Students are required to complete the Student Acknowledgement Section in SIS Self-Service for each term of enrollment at the Bloomberg School.

Standards of Progress

Continuation of VA payments depends on the student’s meeting the University’s academic standards for all students. The student must also meet any standards of progress established by VA regulations.

Tuition Assistance (TA)

Students on active duty or who are a drilling reservist/national guard member may be eligible for TA. In most cases, students can apply for TA online, but rules vary from service to service. Learn more about all tuition assistance programs at or visit College Scorecard, The College Navigator, Financial Aid Shopping Sheet, and Paying for College.

The return of TA funds schedule is as follows:

  • Week 1 – 100%
  • Week 2 - 100%
  • Week 3 - 60%
  • Week 4 - 40%
  • Week 5 - 20%

The return of any TA funds will be returned directly to the military service, not to the service member.