Ashley Sheffel, DrPH ’19, MPH, uses research to improve maternal and child health and measurements of quality of care in low-resource settings.
evaluation; quality of care; health facility assessments; maternal health; child health
Experiences & Accomplishments
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
George Washington University
The College of William and Mary
My research interests center around methods for monitoring health systems and capacity building for implementing evaluation methods at the country level. My research aims to improve maternal and child health in low-resource settings with a focus on (1) efforts to improve the measurement of quality of care for maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH) interventions, and (2) large-scale effectiveness evaluations of MNCH programs.
Honors & Awards
Delta Omega (2019)
- Sheffel A., Zeger S., Heidkamp R., Munos, MK. (2019). Development of summary indices of antenatal care service quality in Haiti, Malawi and Tanzania. BMJ Open, 2019;9(12):e032558. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-032558
- Sheffel, A., Wilson, E., Munos, M., Zeger, S. (2019). Methods for analysis of complex survey data: An application using the Tanzanian 2015 Demographic and Health Survey and Service Provision Assessment. Journal of Global Health, 2019;9(2):020902. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7189/jogh.09.020902
- Denhard, L., Kaviany, P., Chicumbe, S., Muianga, C., Laisse, G., Aune, K., Sheffel, A. (2021). How prepared is Mozambique to treat COVID-19 patients? A new approach for estimating oxygen service availability, oxygen treatment capacity, and population access to oxygen-ready treatment facilities. International journal for equity in health, 20(1): 1-13. doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12939-021-01403-8
- Sheffel, A., Heidkamp, R., Mpembeni, R., Bujari, P., Gupta, J., Niyeha, D., Aung, T., Bakengesa, V., Msuya, J., Munos, M., Kennedy, C. (2019). Understanding client and provider perspectives of antenatal care service quality: a qualitative multi-method study from Tanzania. Journal of Global Health. 2019;9(1):011101. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.7189/jogh.09.01101
- Sheffel, A., Karp, C., Creanga, A. (2018). Utility of Service Provision Assessments and Service Availability and Readiness Assessments for monitoring quality of maternal and newborn health services in low-income and middle-income countries. BMJ Global Health, 2018 Nov 26;3(6):e001011. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2018-001011
Real Accountability: Data Analysis For Results (RADAR)
Harmonized Health Facility Assessment (HHFA) Resource Package