Framing; Health Policy; Health Politics; Health Financing; Critical Policy Studies; Human Resources for Health; Low- and Middle-Income Countries
Experiences & Accomplishments
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University
Dr. Koon's work focuses on understanding the forces that structure human behavior in the health policy process. He approaches policy as a contest of ideas, shaped by language and deeper value conflicts and applies these concepts to work on health financing, health workforce development, and the regulation of harmful consumer products. Dr. Koon has published widely on “framing” and overlapping phenomena such as "sensemaking" and "storytelling" in the health policy process. His work has been published in Social Science and Medicine, Health Policy and Planning, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, the Journal of Health Politics, Policy, and Law, as well as other health policy journals. Currently, Dr. Koon is collaborating on research in Kenya (UNICEF), Uganda (GHR Foundation), Bangladesh (Gates Ventures), and the Philippines (Bloomberg Philanthropies). Prior to joining the Health Systems Program Dr. Koon worked in public health programming in low- and middle-income countries. In 2010-2011, he served as a technical advisor for the Southern Sudan Guinea Worm Eradication Programme in Awerial County in Lakes State, South Sudan. He has worked on evaluations of polio eradication and nurse mentoring programs in Bihar, India. In addition to this focus on human resources for health, Dr. Koon spent three years as a Health Policy Specialist on Abt Associates' Health Finance and Governance Project funded by USAID after conducting his PhD research on the politics of health financing in Kenya.
Honors & Awards
Excellence in Teaching, JHSPH (3x): 1) Health Systems Seminar, 2) Financing Health Systems for UHC Research Traveling Award Recipient, LSHTM, 2014 Outstanding Practicum Award winner, RSPH, 2007
Selected Publications from the last year
- Koon AD, Mendenhall E, Eich L, Adams A, Borus ZA. (2021). “A Spectrum of (Dis)Belief: Coronavirus Frames in a Rural Midwestern Tourist Town.” Social Science and Medicine. (Advance Access)
- Kenworthy N, Koon AD, Mendenhall E. (2021). "On symbols and scripts: The politics of the American COVID-19 response." Global Public Health. Volume 16, Issue 8-9, pages 1424-1438.
- Koon AD. (2021). "When Doctors strike: Making Sense of Professional Organizing in Kenya." Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law. Volume 46, Issue 4, pages 653-676.
- Carriedo A, Koon AD, Encarnación LM, Lee K, Smith R, Walls H. (2021). "The political economy of sugar-sweetened beverage taxation in Latin America: lessons from Mexico, Chile and Colombia." Globalization and Health, Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 1-14.
- Koon AD, Hawkins B, Mayhew SH. (2020) “Framing Universal Health Coverage in Kenya: An Interpretive Analysis of the 2004 Bill on National Social Health Insurance.” Health Policy and Planning. Volume 35, Issue 10, pages 1376-1384.
A Mixed Methods Process Evaluation of the AMANAT-Jyoti District Nurse Mentoring Program in Bihar
Political economy analysis of sub-national health management in Eastern and Southern Africa